Old 30-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Jill Claus

Default Shasta Daisy from Seed

I am trying to grow some Shasta Daisy's from seed. They germinated and are
growing, but are very limp - they are about 4 inches tall, but the stems are
so weak, they don't stand up. Is this normal? What should I do? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jill

Old 30-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Penny Morgan

Where are you growing them? Inside or outside? I grew 'Alaska' Shasta
Daisies from seed this past spring. I started them in peat pots and packed
them closely together in a plastic black tray used for quart sized plants
sold at nurseries. The tray had some drainage holes, but also held water at
the bottom of the peat pots for better water retention. I grew them outside
on a table facing west in my screened in porch area. They were sheltered,
but also had access to sun and wind.

Mine also laid down in all directions with thin stems, but once I
transplanted them into the ground, they started to thicken and stand up. If
you aren't going to plant them for awhile into a permanent area, you might
want to transplant them into deeper pots and move them into a less sheltered
area with more air circulation outside. I also fed mine with fish emulsion.

I think your situation is pretty normal. Once they are planted, they will
strengthen. Hope this helps.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 30-06-2003, 09:20 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Jill Claus" wrote:

I am trying to grow some Shasta Daisy's from seed. They germinated and are
growing, but are very limp - they are about 4 inches tall, but the stems are
so weak, they don't stand up. Is this normal? What should I do? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jill

They were similar here, though they are begining to strengthen now,
not so ready to lay against the ground. A few plants were like
this...baby breath, bachelor buttons. Now they are all standing
straighter.

I noticed a many plants seem to go through stages.. top growth,
thickening, root growth. I'll think a plant hasn't been growing much
and suddenly notice how think the main stem has become. Or a tiny
plant will stay tiny for a week or two then suddenly grow an inch
every day. That week-long pause was probably spent growing roots to
enable all the new top growth. For weeks my late-planted petunias have
done nothing. Then a week passes by and it has spread out to 3x its
size. My Cosmos has been slow growing the last 2 weeks...despite
finally getting sunny days. I noticed today that the stems have
thickened considerably. I think it is getting ready to grow some new
height and it knows it needs a strong base to support it.

Barring any crowding or lack of sun/nutrition, I think when it needs
to stand straighter it will strengthen.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Old 18-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Glasgow
Default Yellow Shasta Daisy

A few years ago I saw yellow shasta daisies on sale in the UK. I haven't seen them since and wondered if anyone had any idea where I could get hold of plants or seeds.

Thanks

Old 19-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Jay Chan

Last year I grew many Alaska shasta daisy from seeds and placed them
in pots. They tended to look weak and kind of laying low on the ground
if I didn't give them enough water (placing the pots in a hot driveway
under the sun was a part of the problem). If I watered them well, they
tended to look strong.

In my case, I think that had to do with water escaping from the pot
quite fast that the shasta daisy had a hard time getting enough water.
The problem went away as soon as I transplanted them on the ground.

Jay Chan

[IMG] code is On

Yellow Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum sp) LabD5 United Kingdom 3 11-08-2003 02:44 PM
How to Keep Shasta Daisy Short? Jay Chan Gardening 6 03-07-2003 03:56 PM
Shasta daisy Mike Lyle Gardening 12 18-06-2003 04:56 PM
Shasta daisy Mike Lyle Plant Science 0 11-06-2003 10:21 PM
Will Shasta Daisy grow in constantly wet sand/full sun? Kevin Miller Gardening 4 04-06-2003 12:32 PM