Old 30-06-2003, 05:08 PM
sueb

Default Tomatoes with Potato Leaf

(FarmerDill) wrote in message ...

I know that Brandywine tomatoes have "potato" leaves (broad rather
than divided). Do any other types of tomatoes have this kind of
leaf?

The reason for asking: I bought my usual assortment of plants,
they're growing and setting. One of them, an "Aunt Ruby's Green"
has potato leaves. I'm wondering if the plant was mislabelled and
I really got an extra Brandywine.

Susan B.

There are dozens of tomato cultivars with potato leaves, Aunt Ruby's German
Green is not one of them. However, the "heirloom" cultivars have a lot more
variabilty than hybrids. Potao leaves are frequently reported in cultivars that
supposedly have regular leaves. It is a ressive gene that doesn't pop up with
regularity. I am not aware of any green tomato with potato leaves, so if your
ripens green, save the seeds and you can introduce "Suzies Green Potato" to the
heirloom market.

Thank you all for the info.

Unfortunately the plant hasn't set fruit yet so we may never know if
I could have retired on the proceeds of "Suzies Green Potato"!

It's very vigorous and healthy though...maybe tomatoes are too much
to ask.

Susan B.