Old 27-06-2003, 08:56 PM
sueb

Default Tomatoes with Potato Leaf

I know that Brandywine tomatoes have "potato" leaves (broad rather
than divided). Do any other types of tomatoes have this kind of
leaf?

The reason for asking: I bought my usual assortment of plants,
they're growing and setting. One of them, an "Aunt Ruby's Green"
has potato leaves. I'm wondering if the plant was mislabelled and
I really got an extra Brandywine.

Susan B.
Old 27-06-2003, 09:44 PM
len

"sueb" wrote in message
om...
I know that Brandywine tomatoes have "potato" leaves (broad rather
than divided). Do any other types of tomatoes have this kind of
leaf?

The reason for asking: I bought my usual assortment of plants,
they're growing and setting. One of them, an "Aunt Ruby's Green"
has potato leaves. I'm wondering if the plant was mislabelled and
I really got an extra Brandywine.

Susan B.

This is first year we planted some heirloom tomatoes, including Brandywine.
It is true they have wide leaves, like potatoes. We are growing, mortgage
lifter, purple cherrokee, and pink brandywine. Len

Old 28-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

sueb said:

I know that Brandywine tomatoes have "potato" leaves (broad rather
than divided). Do any other types of tomatoes have this kind of
leaf?

The reason for asking: I bought my usual assortment of plants,
they're growing and setting. One of them, an "Aunt Ruby's Green"
has potato leaves. I'm wondering if the plant was mislabelled and
I really got an extra Brandywine.

Several of the tomatoes I'm growing this year have 'potato' leaves,
and none of them are Brandywines.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 28-06-2003, 06:20 PM
FarmerDill

I know that Brandywine tomatoes have "potato" leaves (broad rather
than divided). Do any other types of tomatoes have this kind of
leaf?

The reason for asking: I bought my usual assortment of plants,
they're growing and setting. One of them, an "Aunt Ruby's Green"
has potato leaves. I'm wondering if the plant was mislabelled and
I really got an extra Brandywine.

Susan B.

There are dozens of tomato cultivars with potato leaves, Aunt Ruby's German
Green is not one of them. However, the "heirloom" cultivars have a lot more
variabilty than hybrids. Potao leaves are frequently reported in cultivars that
supposedly have regular leaves. It is a ressive gene that doesn't pop up with
regularity. I am not aware of any green tomato with potato leaves, so if your
ripens green, save the seeds and you can introduce "Suzies Green Potato" to the
heirloom market.
Old 16-07-2003, 06:11 AM
news.verizon.net

Aunt Ruby's is a regular leaf. Currently, there are, I believe, over 500
potato leaf varieties; in the last few years, I've probably grown over 30 PL
varieties.

Mark

om...