Old 06-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Marc Stephenson

Default Tropical Storm Allison was good to Houston...

In article ,
J Kolenovsky wrote:
bird sanctuaries, habitats, and community gardens/farms. The Brownwood
subdivision in Baytown, TX was turned into a huge nature refuge,
http://www.enn.com/features/1999/12/...ytown_7399.asp and
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/storm2001/982409. ...

Not this has much to do with austin.gardening... but
this might give people the impression that the Brownwood situation
had something to do with Tropical Storm Allison. I lived in Baytown
from 1960-1978 and my parents lived there until 1996 or so. There's
an aerial photo map on my office wall showing the houses and streets
of Baytown, including Brownwood, from 1973. I was there for the 25"
rains from Claudette in 1979.

It's nice that something good eventually happened in Brownwood, but it wasn't
because of Allison.

(If anybody goes to the Baytown Nature Center (which doesn't have a "center"
facility from what I can tell) on the site of the former Brownwood subdivision,
be sure to take plenty of effective mosquito repellant.)
--
Marc Stephenson IBM Server Group - Austin,TX
T/L: 678-3189