Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): Tomatoes not ripening

writes:
Some of the information I've come across says that the cells in the tomato
plant that form the pigments do not function well in extended temperatures
above 83 degree F. They simply wont ripen. This may be false information,
or
there are varieties breed as workarounds. Still you said temps were in the
80s...high 80s? Are most people having this problem in higher temp zones,
experiencing a heat wave, or just impatient?

Won't ripen above 83? Wow! Someone should have told the many, many
thousands of tomatoes my grandparents grew for market in eastern
Washington. It was a rare day, indeed, that the temperature was below 83.
Tomatoes are more of a hot weather plant than a cool weather plant, or so
it would seem.

I hope that wherever you got that information hasn't given you anything
else on which you might base anything really important.

Now if you have extended hot weather and don't they don't have adequate
water, you will have problems, but you'd also have problems in cooler
weather without adequate water.

Sorry, just be patient. They will ripen. Didn't someone on this group
say a watched tomato doesn't ripen?

Glenna