Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 AM
zog

Default Re(2): Tomatoes not ripening

(Glenna Rose) wrote in
fc.003d0941019d67c93b9aca0086a492b3.19d67e2@pmug. org:

writes:
Some of the information I've come across says that the cells in the
tomato plant that form the pigments do not function well in extended
temperatures above 83 degree F. They simply wont ripen. This may be
false information, or
there are varieties breed as workarounds. Still you said temps were in
the 80s...high 80s? Are most people having this problem in higher temp
zones, experiencing a heat wave, or just impatient?

Won't ripen above 83? Wow! Someone should have told the many, many
thousands of tomatoes my grandparents grew for market in eastern
Washington. It was a rare day, indeed, that the temperature was below
83.
Tomatoes are more of a hot weather plant than a cool weather plant, or
so
it would seem.

I hope that wherever you got that information hasn't given you anything
else on which you might base anything really important.

Now if you have extended hot weather and don't they don't have adequate
water, you will have problems, but you'd also have problems in cooler
weather without adequate water.

Sorry, just be patient. They will ripen. Didn't someone on this group
say a watched tomato doesn't ripen?

Glenna

Actually if the night temperatures do not fall below a certain point which
may well be 83F the fruit doesn't ripen. Last year LI experienced an
unprecedented heat wave and fruit continued to grow to enormous size but
didn't ripen until well into August when nights finally started getting
cooler. All the local gardeners I know had the same problem. During this
heatwave very little new fruit was set and 2 or 3 clusters failed to
produce fruit. As temperatures cooled fruit production resumed but most
failed to ripen before cold weather. Most of the information on tomato
ripening and temperature concerns off the vine ripening w/ ethylene but
there are several articles that mention continous high temperatures
preventing on plant ripening. In over 40 years of growing tomatoes I had
never experienced this before. Now this cold wet year I am awaiting the
first blossom .
Bob
Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 PM
The Cook

writes:
[...]

If your abbreviation of LI is Long Island, the night temperatures for
LaGaurdia Airport for the month of July 2002 were in the 70's and low
80's. In fact, the highest night temp last July was 81. Check it out
here.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/box/showcl.pl. That is pretty
much like we had in the Norfolk, VA area last July (which was about
normal for the area) and the tomatoes ripened just fine.

Start here if you want a closer town.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/dailystns.shtml

With daily highs in the 90s, fruit does not set well if at all except
in certain varieties (Heatwave).

It seems that you did not have a problem last year, you just had great
tomato growing weather. Fruit continuing to enlarge is not a problem
with ripening. It seems to me that people in the New York do not
plant tomatoes outside until sometime in May. It usually takes about
60 days to get mature fruit.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM
srk

I had the same problem.I planted them April. For over two months I
waited to get them to ripen since I started seeing green ones. I live
in FL. Finally I just collected all green ones from the plants. I am
little upset myself, not even one ripen tomato I enjoyed so far after
all the hard work I put in i.e protecting the plants from bugs, worms
and caging and tying them with twine etc. Finally I am questioning is
it really worth growing tomatoes or any vegies? May be I am missing
something?

srk

Old 02-07-2003, 12:51 AM
jc

"srk" wrote in message
om...
I had the same problem.I planted them April. For over two months I
waited to get them to ripen since I started seeing green ones. I live
in FL. Finally I just collected all green ones from the plants. I am
little upset myself, not even one ripen tomato I enjoyed so far after
all the hard work I put in i.e protecting the plants from bugs, worms
and caging and tying them with twine etc. Finally I am questioning is
it really worth growing tomatoes or any vegies? May be I am missing
something?
srk

April seems a bit late for transplanting tomatoes in most of Florida.
See
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VH028
for UFL's Coop. Ext. recommended planting dates.

Olin

Old 02-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Tomatoes not ripening

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:14:16 -0700, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

LOL, Pat. Yes I know, but to be completely honest with our fellow
gardeners, we must refer to those raised in the garden, at least from
plants.

Aw. Picky, picky! g

I am so pleased because I found some almost ripe tomatoes this
morning . . . love those Stupice tomatoes!

I'm definitely going to try Stupice next year. I have Early
Girls this year: lots of little green tomatoes, but nowhere
near 'almost ripe'. I'm also growing Better Boy and Sweet
Million this year.

This morning's tour uncovered
a small cucumber and the baby cantaloupe that has grown to a 3-inch
diameter (well, maybe only 2-1/2 inches), and several small peppers.
Looks like summer is on its way. :-)

We have a small pepper, and a small yellow summer squash.

Our cukes are still languishing in their 6-packs (I hurt my
back several weeks ago, and haven't been able to even walk
out to the garden since then). DH is keeping it going as
best he can...but it's not the same, plus he has his hands
double-full doing what I usually do in the house, etc.

I am disappointed, however, at how slow my Sun Golds are advancing, but
maybe my memory is not as accurate as I'd like. Lots of green tomatoes
but none with color yet.

My morning glory plant on the front porch has its first
blossom! Day lilies are blooming, also the petunias (in
flower boxes on the porch) are thriving.

On the edible side, so far, we've harvested lots of lettuce,
Swiss chard, various herbs (notably basil). I had various
Chinese greens (bok choy, choy sum, komatsuna) earlier in
the year (and will have them again in fall).

We just harvested a head of fluffy-top Chinese cabbage and
some Vitaminna (another Asian green) and some mizuna. Beets
are almost ready to pull and enjoy.

Basically, our garden is shot to h*ll, because of a
double-whammy: first we had monsoons all spring, then I
hurt my back. Nevertheless, we're still having some good
stuff and my back is slowly improving, so I think I'll be
able to plant and tend a fall garden. Sure hope so.

Pat
Old 02-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Noydb

Strawberries are about done. I've been getting 2-4# daily (actual weight on
a scale) from about 100 sq ft of bed. That worked out to about 40 pints of
jam. I'm pretty pleased with that.

Tried three varieties of peas this year. Sugar Ann, Early Perfection and
Alaska. Sugar Ann won't be back ... not enough yield. Early Perfection will
get another chance and Alaska is a definite 'plant again'. I have yields
from it that look like the seed catalogs!

Mezclun is still standing, although some has begun to bolt. The Indian
Summer spinach is about done. The dill is looking mighty good and I just
gave away about 100 Greek Oregano plants that were shading my pickling
cukes. The pickling cukes are about 2' up the trellis now (big difference
in growth rate once I got the oregano off 'em) and the bush beans are ready
for their first picking.

I have my tomatoes and peppers growing in the bed nearest the neighbors
(south facing) cinderblock garage wall that I painted white last year. They
like the heat. Last year, Ky. Wonder pole beans were just outstanding in
that location. We still have 30 qts of beans left from only 16 ft of
trellis.

I got a late start with Mortgage Lifter so I only have flowers at this
point. I have already bought the things I will need next year to get them
off to a proper start. The seeds didn't get planted until the 2nd week of
April so I can't complain to have such nice, stocky tomatoe plants out
there setting a LOT of blooms. Are ML's REALLY that prolific?

I have edible jalapenos now but I clearly got sold mis-labeled Anaheims ...
the pepper on those plants is held blossom end up and is very nearly a
sphere.

I'm not certain how my garlic is doing ... the tops seem inclined to
recline. Are they ready to pull? They were planted in straight compost,
well above any actual dirt, as an experiment.

I have 'second cropped' black seeded Simpson and Grand Rapids lettuces among
the onions and garlic. I figure that the peas, garlic and onions will be
out of those beds pretty soon. My only concern is that this means I will
lose my shade for the lettuces. Oh well ... can't all be gems, I guess.

Nearly all of my onions split. I'm letting them form bulbs just to see what
they come up with.

All of the herbs are doing well. I have 4 kinds of mint, 4 kinds of basil,
greek oregano, fennel, tarragon, chamomile, sage and a couple others whose
names elude me at the moment. I talked the missus into using volunteer opal
basil plants as a border in the front flower beds.

There's more going on out there but this is what comes to mind at the
moment.

Bill

Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Jim Carter

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:41:00 -0400, Pat Meadows wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

I'm definitely going to try Stupice next year. I have Early
Girls this year: lots of little green tomatoes, but nowhere
near 'almost ripe'.

I have both Stupice and Early Girl. Stupice is way ahead of Early Girl,
probably due to the cruddy weather we had. Actually, Lemon Boy is also ahead of
Early Girl this year.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a