Old 01-07-2003, 04:08 AM
BOB

Default Water question AC condensate?

zxcvbob wrote:
Thumbs wrote:
Can the condensate from an air conditioner be use to water a garden?
We have drought problems, but the AC unit puts out a lot of
condensate. I've heard both yes and no, but no explaination..

Yes. It is distilled water, with traces of copper, plus maybe lead,
silver, dust, cottonwood fuzz (etc), or oil from the condensor coils
and compressor. I wouldn't drink it, but it probably has fewer
impurities
than your tap water or soil and should be fine for your garden.

Bob

UNLESS...you have put a fungicide/algicide in the drain pan to kill the
algae/fungus that can clog your drain line. Mine, for example, can't be
used to water plants because without the chemicals, my drain line clogs up
several times a year.

BOB