Old 30-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Thumbs

Default Water question AC condensate?

Can the condensate from an air conditioner be use to water a garden? We have
drought problems, but the AC unit puts out a lot of condensate. I've heard
both yes and no, but no explaination..

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 PM
zxcvbob

Thumbs wrote:
Can the condensate from an air conditioner be use to water a garden? We have
drought problems, but the AC unit puts out a lot of condensate. I've heard
both yes and no, but no explaination..

Yes. It is distilled water, with traces of copper, plus maybe lead,
silver, dust, cottonwood fuzz (etc), or oil from the condensor coils and
compressor. I wouldn't drink it, but it probably has fewer impurities
than your tap water or soil and should be fine for your garden.

Bob

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran

Old 01-07-2003, 04:08 AM
BOB

zxcvbob wrote:
Thumbs wrote:
Can the condensate from an air conditioner be use to water a garden?
We have drought problems, but the AC unit puts out a lot of
condensate. I've heard both yes and no, but no explaination..

Yes. It is distilled water, with traces of copper, plus maybe lead,
silver, dust, cottonwood fuzz (etc), or oil from the condensor coils
and compressor. I wouldn't drink it, but it probably has fewer
impurities
than your tap water or soil and should be fine for your garden.

Bob

UNLESS...you have put a fungicide/algicide in the drain pan to kill the
algae/fungus that can clog your drain line. Mine, for example, can't be
used to water plants because without the chemicals, my drain line clogs up
several times a year.

BOB

Old 01-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Casey Stevens

I've been using condensation water from my air conditioner on my front
porch container plants for two years now, and they do extremely well
with it. They actually seem to do better with this water than they do
with tap water. The only problem I have with it is when it gets cool
and there's no condensation water to empty from the collection bucket,
I keep forgetting to water the plants!

Casey

Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
JohnDKestell

I'm with these guys, it really is acting like a water distillation. I think
bob is right, watch it if you add any stuff to the collector, but other than
that, i think it would work great.

how do you intend to use it? Maybe pipe it into a plastic water drum so you
can collect it 24/7 and use it as needed?

I don't seem to be having ANY drought problems here in alabama--do you need
like 6" of rain? (it's ok weather if you're a duck!)
later
john