Old 01-07-2003, 06:08 AM
loki

Default Hostas killing birch trees?

"CpRensCoNY" wrote

Clump Birch die young. They are multiple stemmed grey birch sold as lawn
ornaments. Betula populifolia. The youth and disease comment was pretty
accurate. The comments regarding other birches would need to be directed

the specific species of birch discussed. All kinds in the US plus many
imported species. Lots of times on this forum missing location of plant

and
species or accurate description gives the questioner a wide range answer

though
the respondent is trying.

Interesting. She lives in Southern Illinois which is zone 6b. I don't know
the variety of the birch but do know that it's not what she had asked for
which was clump birch. It looks more like 3 taller birch planted closely
together to look like clump birch. Ah, well. It's nearing it's end
whatever it is. I will take a good look at it next time I am there.

Loki