Old 01-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Noydb

Default Does five gallon container contain five gallons?

jc wrote:

Rough-cut 2X4s are still 2"X4". Used to be a planed 2X4 was 1 5/8" by 3
5/8" which was arrived at by planing 3/16" off each surface of a
rough-cut 2X4. For a long time now, planed 2X4s have been still
smaller - 1.5 X 3.5 inches. So to be technically correct, I suppose
the term for 2X4s as we know them should be "planed" 2X4s. As to the 10
gallon hat, I believe it has to do with the number of braids, or the
number of strands in the braid, around the crown of the hat and not to
its liquid capacity. -Olin

2x4's are denominated "nominal" for those whose dimensions _were_ 2x4 and
"dimensional" for those that _are_ 2x4 after drying, etc. (Drying shrinks
lumber.)

No clue how 5 gallon buckets came to hold anything less than 5 gals.

Bill