Old 27-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Jack1000

Default Does five gallon container contain five gallons?

Monitors used to be sold as 13,14,15,17,19,21 inches. Now you will
see 15.9",18.1",20.1" these are formerly 17", 19", 21" monitors. They
now show overly accurate sizes because for years they out and out
lied. Viewable areas were as much as 2 inches smaller than stated. I
got a check for a couple of bucks from the class action lawsuit
regarding this. woo-hoo!

I say we revolt! There are people out there who can help us get what we were
told we were getting...A HREF="http://www.ncwm.net/main.html"The National
Conference on Weights and Measures…/A
I'm pretty sure a standard measure should be the same no matter what it holds.
If I was cooking and I needed 5 gallons of something and I used that 5 gallon
pot to measure with I would have a problem. Don't let them just get away with
not giving you what was advertised!
Write a complaint and E-mail it to:
I think each state has a department of weights and measures too. Write to them
to or the evil pot dealers will keep getting away with this crime!
Speak up and you will be heard!
Old 28-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Gary The Rookie Farmer

I was impressed with all the math work going on here. But why not do
it the simpler way? Tape off any holes in the pot and see how many
gallons of water you can pour in it till it fills up. An empty milk
jug would work nice.
Old 28-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Aaron Baugher said:

"Lorenzo L. Love" writes:

That's about right. A gallon pot normally holds about 3/4
gallon. Don't try to make sense of it.

It's probably a full gallon if you heap it up.

Or takes a full gallon of loose potting soil, tamped down into it...
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 29-06-2003, 09:44 PM
jc

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in message
Repeating Decimal wrote:
The five gallon containers for plants always seemed small to me.

Today I got
to measure one of them. When I calculated the volume, it was 3.4

gallons not
five. Am I missing something? Is there a arcane standard for this?

Bill

That's about right. A gallon pot normally holds about 3/4 gallon.

Don't
try to make sense of it.

Back before plastic containers, one gallon plants were sold in metal No.
10 cans which contained only 96 fluid ounces (3/4 gallon). When plastic
containers came into common use in about the mid 1960s, the pots were
tapered but the height and circumference at the top were the same as a
No. 10 can and the plants were the same size but the container volume
evn less than a No. 10 can but still occupied the same space in shipping
containers and continued to be called one gallon plants. I think it is
just common usage and the nursery industry would get confused if you
called it a 0.75 gallon can. Has anybody ever complained about the
liquid volume of a 10 gallon hat? -Olin

Old 29-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:37:46 GMT, "jc" wrote:

Back before plastic containers, one gallon plants were sold in metal No.
10 cans which contained only 96 fluid ounces (3/4 gallon). When plastic
containers came into common use in about the mid 1960s, the pots were
tapered but the height and circumference at the top were the same as a
No. 10 can and the plants were the same size but the container volume
evn less than a No. 10 can but still occupied the same space in shipping
containers and continued to be called one gallon plants. I think it is
just common usage and the nursery industry would get confused if you
called it a 0.75 gallon can. Has anybody ever complained about the
liquid volume of a 10 gallon hat?

^_^ Perhaps plant containers are like lumber -- a 2x4 is what?
1.something" by 3.something"? As long as everyone agrees on the
*definition*, as opposed to the actual dimensions, the gazebo gets
built. However, pot sizing may be less familiar than wood
"measurements."
Old 30-06-2003, 08:08 AM
jc

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d0941019d4dbe3b9aca00139809de.19d4dc3@p mug.org...
writes:
[...]

Actually, 2x4 lumber used to be 2x4 which can cause problems when
remodeling a turn-of-the-century (19th to 20th) or older.
Now I'm wondering about that 10-gallon hat! LOL
Glenna

Rough-cut 2X4s are still 2"X4". Used to be a planed 2X4 was 1 5/8" by 3
5/8" which was arrived at by planing 3/16" off each surface of a
rough-cut 2X4. For a long time now, planed 2X4s have been still
smaller - 1.5 X 3.5 inches. So to be technically correct, I suppose
the term for 2X4s as we know them should be "planed" 2X4s. As to the 10
gallon hat, I believe it has to do with the number of braids, or the
number of strands in the braid, around the crown of the hat and not to
its liquid capacity. -Olin

Old 01-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Noydb

jc wrote:

Rough-cut 2X4s are still 2"X4". Used to be a planed 2X4 was 1 5/8" by 3
5/8" which was arrived at by planing 3/16" off each surface of a
rough-cut 2X4. For a long time now, planed 2X4s have been still
smaller - 1.5 X 3.5 inches. So to be technically correct, I suppose
the term for 2X4s as we know them should be "planed" 2X4s. As to the 10
gallon hat, I believe it has to do with the number of braids, or the
number of strands in the braid, around the crown of the hat and not to
its liquid capacity. -Olin

2x4's are denominated "nominal" for those whose dimensions _were_ 2x4 and
"dimensional" for those that _are_ 2x4 after drying, etc. (Drying shrinks
lumber.)

No clue how 5 gallon buckets came to hold anything less than 5 gals.

Bill