Old 01-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Noydb

Default Did compost kill my potatoes?

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

But the volume of compost has shrunk to 1/8 of the original
volume. The compost now has twice as much weed killer (per volume) as the
starting material. (The shrinkage is not exaggerated, either, based on my
experience.)

I don't want to start a flamefest, but I don't think I have ever lost
anywhere near that much volume. Probably no more than 1/3 lost, 2/3 kept. I
use, almost exclusively, grass clippings and tree leaves with some kitchen
scraps for good measure. I turn perhaps twice a week (depending on what the
internal temps are), watering each time.

Does anyone have a link to a study on such shrinkage?

Bill