Old 01-07-2003, 10:32 AM
donovan n

Default Glow in the dark plants?

Plants don't "feel". There is no nervous system, no capacity for pain.
Plants are simply a collection of cells reacting to external influences
(although the same thing could be said about humans)... Plants have no
capacity to feel distress or pain, they simply run a routine based on
stimuli (about as "feeling" as a computer).

I don't feel bad about mowing the grass in the yard, or trimming my
cabomba (well, it is annoying so I do feel a bit bad).
I don't know alot about the parrotfish debate other than they are an
unnatural hybrid. Do they lead a poor quality of life?
I don't like the practice of "painting" fish, as it is painful and
stressful, I think it's worse than the practise of clipping a dog's tail and
ears.
The GM glowing fish is a tough question... The modifications are done in
the egg, while the fish is nothing more than a ball of cells. But does the
modification make the fish lead a painful life? I doubt it... but they are
sterile, so no jurassic park type situations.
GM plants, I'm all for that, as long as they can't be released into the
wild and spread. Many of the plants we keep in aquariums, however, can
spread like the plague. While deep red/ purple anubias would be nice in the
aquarium, I don't want to see glowing anarchiris killing off the plants we
have here naturally.

--donovan