Old 01-07-2003, 11:08 AM
António Vitor

Default Glow in the dark plants?

"GM plants, I'm all for that, as long as they can't be released into the
wild and spread"

but... that already occured on EUA and Canada, genetic cultivated plants (I
don't remember the species, some kind of grass to feed the animals) had
already created hybrids with non genetic modified plants.
There is simple no plants without the GM gene of this species in EUA or in
Canada .
think of what you lost!

this is big nonsense!
it's only the arrogance of man, thinking that he can improve nature...
No you cannot improve nature!

GM will not stop the world hunger!
this seeds are expensive and have patents, no one in Africa can afford this
seeds...

more... if you think that with these seed you can stop hunger by dumping
large quantities of food, this is the most ugly/wrong stuff you can do to
them.

you must provide knowledge for them to be sucessfull without this supid
genetic modified stuff.

remember jurassic park, they thought that it was impossible to replicate the
dinossaurs...

Regards!
António Vitor

in the early days when reproduction of this genetic modifed plans were
possible...

Regards!
António Vitor
"donovan n" wrote in message
Plants don't "feel". There is no nervous system, no capacity for pain.
Plants are simply a collection of cells reacting to external influences
(although the same thing could be said about humans)... Plants have no
capacity to feel distress or pain, they simply run a routine based on
stimuli (about as "feeling" as a computer).

I don't feel bad about mowing the grass in the yard, or trimming my
cabomba (well, it is annoying so I do feel a bit bad).
I don't know alot about the parrotfish debate other than they are an
unnatural hybrid. Do they lead a poor quality of life?
I don't like the practice of "painting" fish, as it is painful and
stressful, I think it's worse than the practise of clipping a dog's tail

and
ears.
The GM glowing fish is a tough question... The modifications are done

in
the egg, while the fish is nothing more than a ball of cells. But does the
modification make the fish lead a painful life? I doubt it... but they are
sterile, so no jurassic park type situations.
GM plants, I'm all for that, as long as they can't be released into

the
wild and spread. Many of the plants we keep in aquariums, however, can
spread like the plague. While deep red/ purple anubias would be nice in

the
aquarium, I don't want to see glowing anarchiris killing off the plants we
have here naturally.

--donovan