Old 01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
David J Bockman

Default Back protection/support

All good suggestions, to which I would add a stretching regimen and plenty
of water. Staying hydrated is key to staying limber. There is a great
stretching FAQ on the Internet at

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/...ching_toc.html

Dave

"jrstark" wrote in message
JNJ wrote:

I have a bit of a bad back and I've been gardening again so it's

starting to
hurt. I was curious what some others are doing to protect and

support
their backs while working in the landscape?

James

Well I don't how much any of this really helps but:

For heavy lifting I wear one of those velcro wraparound things I bought
at SportMart or similar. I think it mostly reminds you not to do
anything stupid.

If I think about it beforehand I take an Advil/Motrin (careful if you
have stomach problems).

After if needed I use a cold gel-pack that lives in the freezer. Also
has a velcro wraparound cover. And more Advil/Motrin/generic ibuprofen.

If you've ever gone through physical therapy and/or been told what
exercises to do for back muscles, start doing them again regularly.

Build up your fitness and don't overdo things. If it hurts, stop, give
it a day or three to heal. Also try not to work too much when you are
tired or rushed, you're more likely to make a mistake or pull something.

Janine