Old 01-07-2003, 01:20 AM
JNJ

Default Back protection/support

I have a bit of a bad back and I've been gardening again so it's starting to
hurt. I was curious what some others are doing to protect and support
their backs while working in the landscape?

James

Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 AM
jrstark

JNJ wrote:

I have a bit of a bad back and I've been gardening again so it's starting to
hurt. I was curious what some others are doing to protect and support
their backs while working in the landscape?

James

Well I don't how much any of this really helps but:

For heavy lifting I wear one of those velcro wraparound things I bought
at SportMart or similar. I think it mostly reminds you not to do
anything stupid.

If I think about it beforehand I take an Advil/Motrin (careful if you
have stomach problems).

After if needed I use a cold gel-pack that lives in the freezer. Also
has a velcro wraparound cover. And more Advil/Motrin/generic ibuprofen.

If you've ever gone through physical therapy and/or been told what
exercises to do for back muscles, start doing them again regularly.

Build up your fitness and don't overdo things. If it hurts, stop, give
it a day or three to heal. Also try not to work too much when you are
tired or rushed, you're more likely to make a mistake or pull something.

Janine

Old 01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
David J Bockman

All good suggestions, to which I would add a stretching regimen and plenty
of water. Staying hydrated is key to staying limber. There is a great
stretching FAQ on the Internet at

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/...ching_toc.html

Dave

Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Stephen M. Henning

JNJ wrote:

I have a bad back and I've been gardening again so it's starting to
hurt. I was curious what some others are doing to protect and support
their backs while working in the landscape?

The wrap-around back-braces that workers used to use on the job haven't
been proven to do any good. The most important things to do are to warm
up and stretch before starting. Then use good techniqe like bending
your legs instead of your back. Never lift with your back. When
pulling weeds, get down on the ground. Don't bend over. Use heat after
a good workout. I found that doing standing touching toe exercises will
prevent me from getting stiff necks and back problems if I do them
regularly.

Occupational therapists can teach you how to do things in the garden
without hurting your back. That is their job. They teach people how to
do things they normally do in life without agravating known problems or
creating new problems.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
Old 02-07-2003, 03:56 AM
Julia Altshuler

JNJ wrote:

I have a bit of a bad back and I've been gardening again so it's starting to
hurt. I was curious what some others are doing to protect and support
their backs while working in the landscape?

James

You won't like the answer. (I don't like it either.) The only thing that works
for me is year-round combined aerobics, stretching and weight conditioning. I
hate exercise, but when I do it, I can do things like move dirt around without
pain. (I take a class at a gym where the teacher is there with all the safety
reminders.)

--Lia

Old 15-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Roseb441702

I used to laugh at my mother when she would bring a chair with her out to the
garden - NOW I no longer laugh and we both fight over the chair!

But like the previous post I do try and prepare beforehand - I'll take an
aspirin or maybe an Advil or Tylenol. But I think the most important thing is
to take your time.

"Give A ShoutOut To The World!"
Put Your Voice Message Online at:
The ShoutOut Page