Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Frank Logullo

Default tomato watering regimen?

"gregpresley" wrote in message
I grew tomatoes in pots for 2 years, but while my plants got huge and

seemed
to remain healthy, I had a tremendous amount of blossom end rot - probably
at least half of my tomatoes were damaged in this way. I'm sure it was
partly due to the too wet too dry syndrome. This year they are in a raised
bed - they're a little slower, but the proof will be in the pudding when

the
tomatoes start to ripen in three weeks or so. I'm in Spokane, Wa, which

is
somewhat similar in climate to Boulder.

Blossom end rot is largely calcium deficiency. I've overcome with adding
limestone. I had to switch to pots on my deck several years ago due to
encroaching shade and the local deer. I also have to water like crazy.
Frank