Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Stephen Younge

Default tomato watering regimen?

I live in Boulder, Colorado.

I am growing four tomatoes in large 20" pots (patio; super bush; early girl
improved; and super fantastic), and two tomatoes in the ground (big boy;
some russian ornamental).

I have been watering all of the tomatoes like crazy, heavily every morning
and on weekends again after lunch. The tomatoes look very vigorous and
healthy, no yellow leaves, all have flowers and the early girl (finally) has
a few tiny green tomatoes. They were all planted in late May.

But I am worried that I may be begging for problems with this watering
regimen. Should I scale it back? Is it possible to over-water a plant that
is in a pot with good quality potting mix? I noticed someone recommended
waiting until the tomatoes begin to wilt. Now during our heat waves, that
can be as little as 6 hours...

Oh, and an unrelated question: do I need to help pollinate any of the
tomatoes? I've heard that hybrid varieties are self-pollinating. But would
it help any for me to put on a bumblee outfit and go to town with a q-tip?

Cheers,
Stephen

Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 AM
jammer

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 03:43:45 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

[...]

I just gave up the battle on tomatoes in pots. I don't know how anyone
does it. Daily waterings didnt keep them from wilting....Good luck!

Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 AM
loki

[...]

Well, last time I did tomatoes in pots it was impossible to water them
enough, let alone over water them!

They also needed to be fed which I do not do with tomatoes in the ground.

As for polinating them, about all I do is give them a bit of a shake if
they're not getting any wind.

Loki

Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Noydb

Stephen Younge wrote:

But I am worried that I may be begging for problems with this watering
regimen. Should I scale it back? Is it possible to over-water a plant that
is in a pot with good quality potting mix? I noticed someone recommended
waiting until the tomatoes begin to wilt. Now during our heat waves, that
can be as little as 6 hours...

Oh, and an unrelated question: do I need to help pollinate any of the
tomatoes? I've heard that hybrid varieties are self-pollinating. But would
it help any for me to put on a bumblee outfit and go to town with a q-tip?

Cheers,
Stephen

Do not wait for wilt. By then, the plant has already gone on the defensive
and some cell damage has occured. The key to abundant growth is
uninterrupted growth and this is best accomplished (as regards the
watering) by keeping the soil uniformily moist.

Tomatos are wind pollinated. As Loki suggests, if they get no breeze, give
'em a gentle shake.

Bill C

Old 01-07-2003, 08:56 AM
gregpresley

I grew tomatoes in pots for 2 years, but while my plants got huge and seemed
to remain healthy, I had a tremendous amount of blossom end rot - probably
at least half of my tomatoes were damaged in this way. I'm sure it was
partly due to the too wet too dry syndrome. This year they are in a raised
bed - they're a little slower, but the proof will be in the pudding when the
tomatoes start to ripen in three weeks or so. I'm in Spokane, Wa, which is
somewhat similar in climate to Boulder.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

But I am worried that I may be begging for problems with this watering
regimen. Should I scale it back? Is it possible to over-water a plant that
is in a pot with good quality potting mix? I noticed someone recommended
waiting until the tomatoes begin to wilt. Now during our heat waves, that
can be as little as 6 hours...

I don't think so, assuming that the plants are outdoors.

I'll state this carefully: I don't think it's possible to
overwater a plant in a pot, outdoors, in good potting soil.
I am basing this on my success in container gardening.
Well, all right, I suppose it's 'possible', but I think it's
exceedingly unlikely to happen.

However, your 20" pots are WAY SMALL for full-size tomato
plants and you may find yourself watering them 3 or more
times a day. You'd be much better off to get the tomatoes
into something larger if you can.

We grew a tomato in a pot about that size on our deck last
year, and we eventually had to transplant it to a 22-gallon
Rubbermaid storage tub in which we'd drilled drainage holes.
The plant was five feet tall when we transplanted it, and
although it was a somewhat difficult job, it didn't bother
the plant at all.

Oh, and an unrelated question: do I need to help pollinate any of the
tomatoes? I've heard that hybrid varieties are self-pollinating. But would
it help any for me to put on a bumblee outfit and go to town with a q-tip?

No need. Tomatoes are (all) largely self-pollinating - each
flower pollinates itself. Not just hybrids.

Tomatoes grown outdoors are inevitably jiggled a little by
breezes - if you grow indoor tomatoes, you can just tap the
plants to jiggle them a bit while they're in bloom. This is
all the help they need.

I'm presently growing nine Red Robin tomatoes indoors - they
are all covered with tomatoes. Very nice.

Pat
Old 01-07-2003, 04:08 PM
skg

"Stephen Younge" wrote in message
I live in Boulder, Colorado.

I am growing four tomatoes in large 20" pots (patio; super bush; early girl
improved; and super fantastic), and two tomatoes in the ground (big boy;
some russian ornamental).

snip

But I am worried that I may be begging for problems with this watering
regimen. Should I scale it back? Is it possible to over-water a plant that
is in a pot with good quality potting mix? snip
_______________________________________

Stephen,
I have problems watering so much: the fruit gets to be watery and tasteless.
Someone once told me that I was growing hydrophonic tomatoes- and boy! they
sure tasted like it! Once the fruit gets to be about 1/2 as big as they're
be at maturity, I cut back the watering dramatically.
Good luck!
skg

Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Frank Logullo

"gregpresley" wrote in message
I grew tomatoes in pots for 2 years, but while my plants got huge and

seemed
to remain healthy, I had a tremendous amount of blossom end rot - probably
at least half of my tomatoes were damaged in this way. I'm sure it was
partly due to the too wet too dry syndrome. This year they are in a raised
bed - they're a little slower, but the proof will be in the pudding when

the
tomatoes start to ripen in three weeks or so. I'm in Spokane, Wa, which

is
somewhat similar in climate to Boulder.

Blossom end rot is largely calcium deficiency. I've overcome with adding
limestone. I had to switch to pots on my deck several years ago due to
encroaching shade and the local deer. I also have to water like crazy.
Frank

Old 01-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Jim Carter

wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Oh, and an unrelated question: do I need to help pollinate any of the
tomatoes? I've heard that hybrid varieties are self-pollinating. But would
it help any for me to put on a bumblee outfit and go to town with a q-tip?

It should not be necessary, but if you are in the mood to help pollinate things
then simply shake the plant vigourously. This loosens pollen from the stamens
and deposits it on the stigma (simulates the wind, which is all that is
necessary in a self-pollinating plant).
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 02-07-2003, 04:08 PM
rosie readandpost

i planted mine in VERY DEEP pots, and they are in the semi-shade.
i don't water daily............but when i water, its DEEP.

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

the mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief
in injustice and tragedy. what the caterpillar calls
the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.
......................................r. bach

Old 02-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Noydb

Frank Logullo wrote:

Blossom end rot is largely calcium deficiency. I've overcome with adding
limestone. I had to switch to pots on my deck several years ago due to
encroaching shade and the local deer. I also have to water like crazy.
Frank

It can come from both sources. As I am planting I push three calcium tablets
(mineral supplements for humans) into the soil around each tomato pepper
plant. Then I keep an eye on my soil to make certain it stays moist.

I get "Braggin' rights" tomatoes and no more BER.

Bill

Old 17-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Texas Tomatoes

Don't wait till it wilts. rather then a regimen, do it based on the needs of
the plant. Its good to keep that regimen to check if it needs watering, but
it may not need it every time. I grow great tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets or
5 gallon pots, but in summer heat it does require frequent watering. My
rule of "thumb" is that if the soil is dry to a depth of an inch or inch and
a half I water. I live in Central Texas and grew heat tolerant hybrids in 5
gallon buckets during jult and August and yes, 3 times a day was necessary
on those 100 degree days. I am trying some new stuff this yr with my soil.
Rather than using straight compost/potting soil mixes I am doing that with
some of the native clay soil we have here. Clay tends to retain mositure
better, altho it is not advisable to use in pots by itself for the reason it
does not drain well. I am trying different ratios. Another thing I suggest
is to use mulch. Last year i used newspaper and I will this yr as well, but
also trying it with pine bark mulch. This helps retain that moisture. On a
final note, there are crystals you can buy that swell up with water and
release it when the soil starts to dry out. Clay pots dry out faster too, so
keep that in mind.

Regards!
www.texastomatoes.com

Old 17-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Steve Wolfe

I live in Central Texas and grew heat tolerant hybrids in 5
gallon buckets during jult and August and yes, 3 times a day was necessary
on those 100 degree days. I am trying some new stuff this yr with my soil.
Rather than using straight compost/potting soil mixes I am doing that with
some of the native clay soil we have here. Clay tends to retain mositure
better, altho it is not advisable to use in pots by itself for the reason

it
does not drain well. I am trying different ratios.

Don't discount peat moss. I grew tomatoes last year in containers, and
while it may not have been as hot as Texas, it was nearly 100 during the hot
months, at near-zero humidity. I used potting soil with a fair amount of
peat moss to hold the water, and I only had to water a couple of times per
week during the hot months.

steve