Old 01-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Hedging with hornbeam

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
34.3...
Hi gardeners!

I want to make a hedge to shelter my veggie patch from the wind. I

am
thinking of using Hornbeam and growing it to about 6ft high. Does

this
sound sensible? What other alternatives should I look at.

Finally, where's the cheapest place to obtain hornbeam? Is it worth

looking
at cuttings? How long would they take to get to 6ft from cuttings?

Thanks!

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

Mark,

We have a 60 metre windbreak of hornbeam and were told by various
sources that it was the best for filtering the wind. The wind must
not be blocked as that causes worse problems. The hornbeam is the
best solution apparently.

Iris McCanna