Old 02-07-2003, 01:34 AM
RichToyBox

Default Odiferous spawning?

After a really good spawn, there will be the odor of sex in the air. I
would not call it the smell of something dead, but definitely smelly. On
smaller spawns, it is not noticeable. I had spawns 6 of 7 days a couple of
weeks ago. Only had the smell one day. But that day I had eggs everywhere.
Check your ammonia and nitrites. They will climb. Have some Amquel or
ChlorAm-X to neutralize the ammonia and some salt to neutralize the
nitrites.
--
RichToyBox

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
My fish have been spawning on and off for the past few weeks, but today

when
I got home for lunch and noticed the familiar look of post-spawning
dishevel, I also noticed a really putrid smell around the pond. Not like
anything I've ever noticed before, but definitely not pleasant. I kept
thinking something died around my pond, but I found nothing. Does heavy
duty spawning cause a bad odor? Maybe I've never noticed it much before
because the pond is on the large side, but it was obvious today, and

muggy,
which made it worse.
Sue