Old 30-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Odiferous spawning?

My fish have been spawning on and off for the past few weeks, but today when
I got home for lunch and noticed the familiar look of post-spawning
dishevel, I also noticed a really putrid smell around the pond. Not like
anything I've ever noticed before, but definitely not pleasant. I kept
thinking something died around my pond, but I found nothing. Does heavy
duty spawning cause a bad odor? Maybe I've never noticed it much before
because the pond is on the large side, but it was obvious today, and muggy,
which made it worse.
Sue

Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 AM
RichToyBox

After a really good spawn, there will be the odor of sex in the air. I
would not call it the smell of something dead, but definitely smelly. On
smaller spawns, it is not noticeable. I had spawns 6 of 7 days a couple of
weeks ago. Only had the smell one day. But that day I had eggs everywhere.
Check your ammonia and nitrites. They will climb. Have some Amquel or
ChlorAm-X to neutralize the ammonia and some salt to neutralize the
nitrites.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 AM

yup. it can really stink. check water quality, rinse filters. water changes and a
little salt to help bruises and damaged slime coats. Ingrid

"Sue Alexandre" wrote:

My fish have been spawning on and off for the past few weeks, but today when
I got home for lunch and noticed the familiar look of post-spawning
dishevel, I also noticed a really putrid smell around the pond. Not like
anything I've ever noticed before, but definitely not pleasant. I kept
thinking something died around my pond, but I found nothing. Does heavy
duty spawning cause a bad odor? Maybe I've never noticed it much before
because the pond is on the large side, but it was obvious today, and muggy,
which made it worse.
Sue

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:44 AM
joe

RichToyBox wrote:

After a really good spawn, there will be the odor of sex in the air.

You have no idea what you just did to MY sex life. Just the vision I'm
looking for.

Joe

Old 02-07-2003, 04:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

And if there is an open box of "smelly" chocolates out on the patio... well
you know the song, about the spouse concerned "that someone's been sitting
in his chair and sending devious stares in his direction?" It ain't the
fish. ;o) ~ jan

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:46:13 -0700, joe wrote:

RichToyBox wrote:

After a really good spawn, there will be the odor of sex in the air.

You have no idea what you just did to MY sex life. Just the vision I'm
looking for.

Joe

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-07-2003, 04:56 AM
jammer

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:48:22 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

And if there is an open box of "smelly" chocolates out on the patio... well
you know the song, about the spouse concerned "that someone's been sitting
in his chair and sending devious stares in his direction?" It ain't the
fish. ;o) ~ jan

You all are talking about smells by the pond. Let me share something
non pond related except in all fairness, i was on my way to the pond

I was walking out and got to the wooden deck 10 ft. from the pond. I
smelled body oder and i FROZE. I thought, "Oh no, someone is hiding
under the deck!!!" So i go back in and watch for a long while. Finally
i get up the nerve to look under the deck, figuring i can get back in
the house before they can get me. I sneeeeak out there and i smell it
again. It raises my blood pressure and gives me evil stomach
butterflies. Half way around the deck i hear some power tools fire up
across the back fence and see a few male workers. Whew.....never
thought i would be glad to smell B.O. from another yard! haha
Old 02-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Bob Adkins

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:32:04 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

After a really good spawn, there will be the odor of sex in the air. I
would not call it the smell of something dead, but definitely smelly. On
smaller spawns, it is not noticeable. I had spawns 6 of 7 days a couple of
weeks ago. Only had the smell one day. But that day I had eggs everywhere.
Check your ammonia and nitrites. They will climb. Have some Amquel or
ChlorAm-X to neutralize the ammonia and some salt to neutralize the
nitrites.

One of my main fishing secrets. When bluegill are spawning, one can smell
it. Zero in on the source of the smell, and the fishing action is fast and
furious!

Bob
Old 03-07-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

[...]

LOL! Now those guys would need a LOT of CHOCOLATE!!! Geeze!
~ jan

Spawning Frequency NJ Ponds 7 04-08-2003 02:02 PM
spawning! Carolyn Ponds 1 09-07-2003 02:48 AM
Spawning. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 19 28-04-2003 10:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on mad Ponds 0 29-03-2003 03:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on line. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 7 28-03-2003 05:32 AM