Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Amber

Default new to group & lavender questions

Hi Adam,

"Adam Schwartz" wrote
"Amber" wrote
Hi There Ya'll,

I am new to this group but I have loved gardening for
years, from Austin, Texas. I was hoping that maybe
ya'll could help me understand waht is happening with
my new lavender plant cause my gardening books don't
cover growing lavender.

I was wondering if you have any words of advise about
my new lavender bush that seems to be dying.

SNIP

Lavender likes very well drained soil, so it's important not to overwater
it. It also likes a lot of sun (it's a Mediteranean plant and is used to
the hot dry conditions of that region). Also, is it possible that it is
outgrowing the pot? Lavender can get pretty large, and if the pot is too
small the root system will not be able to support the plant.

-Adam

I don't think the lavender has outgrown the pot, it was just put in
the pot a week ago, there is still lots of room all around the edges.
Seems like the plant did not like getting transpanted. It was getting
nearly full sun when I noticed it was dying, maybe too much water.

Argh, the others herbs that I bought at the same time, oregano and
rosemary are doing great. The only things I can think of besides
transplant shock are shock from overhead watering, maybe something was
toxic to plant was in the soil and I did not know it (don't think so
though cause some morning glories have taken root in the pot and they
are doing fine) or that it just got too hot and too humid. It's been
nearly 100 degrees everyday. Not sure if this one is going to make
it.

sigh

& thanks,
Amber