Old 01-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Amber

Default new to group & lavender questions

Hi There Ya'll,

I am new to this group but I have loved gardening for
years, from Austin, Texas. I was hoping that maybe
ya'll could help me understand waht is happening with
my new lavender plant cause my gardening books don't
cover growing lavender.

I was wondering if you have any words of advise about
my new lavender bush that seems to be dying. After I
tranplanted into a large clay pot and put it on the
front porch, behind a lattice facing east (some
shade cause floweres are growing up the lattice) the
leaves on the bottom of the plant started turning
brown and the leaves at the top are curling up. I
am guessing the plant got too hot so I brought it
inside (temps lately are in the upper 90's and HUMID.
I guess it is possible that the lavender did not
like getting watered from over head???

So far I have tons of cucumbers, yellow squash is
starting to produce, tomato seems to only be making
foilage, soon we will be eating green peppers
from the yard and the fig is completely covered with
small green unripe figs...

Anyway, thanks in advance

Amber
Old 01-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Adam Schwartz

"Amber" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Lavender likes very well drained soil, so it's important not to overwater
it. It also likes a lot of sun (it's a Mediteranean plant and is used to
the hot dry conditions of that region). Also, is it possible that it is
outgrowing the pot? Lavender can get pretty large, and if the pot is too
small the root system will not be able to support the plant.

-Adam

Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Amber

Hi Adam,

"Adam Schwartz" wrote
"Amber" wrote
Hi There Ya'll,

I am new to this group but I have loved gardening for
years, from Austin, Texas. I was hoping that maybe
ya'll could help me understand waht is happening with
my new lavender plant cause my gardening books don't
cover growing lavender.

I was wondering if you have any words of advise about
my new lavender bush that seems to be dying.

SNIP

Lavender likes very well drained soil, so it's important not to overwater
it. It also likes a lot of sun (it's a Mediteranean plant and is used to
the hot dry conditions of that region). Also, is it possible that it is
outgrowing the pot? Lavender can get pretty large, and if the pot is too
small the root system will not be able to support the plant.

-Adam

I don't think the lavender has outgrown the pot, it was just put in
the pot a week ago, there is still lots of room all around the edges.
Seems like the plant did not like getting transpanted. It was getting
nearly full sun when I noticed it was dying, maybe too much water.

Argh, the others herbs that I bought at the same time, oregano and
rosemary are doing great. The only things I can think of besides
transplant shock are shock from overhead watering, maybe something was
toxic to plant was in the soil and I did not know it (don't think so
though cause some morning glories have taken root in the pot and they
are doing fine) or that it just got too hot and too humid. It's been
nearly 100 degrees everyday. Not sure if this one is going to make
it.

sigh

& thanks,
Amber
Old 02-07-2003, 07:32 AM
V_coerulea

Hi there Amber
Lavender does not like to be transplanted during the heat (best in winter in
the south). It likes full sun, semi-shade in the southern summer, and a
quick draining soil with some lime. Is your potting mix too heavy (wet and
slow to dry) and acid? I find that lavender does best in the ground here in
the south.

Old 02-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Amber

"V_coerulea" wrote...
Hi there Amber
Lavender does not like to be transplanted during the heat (best in winter in
the south). It likes full sun, semi-shade in the southern summer, and a
quick draining soil with some lime. Is your potting mix too heavy (wet and
slow to dry) and acid? I find that lavender does best in the ground here in
the south.

SNIP

Your answer makes the most sense so far, and it is the sadest cause I
think there is a good chance the plant does not like the soil (meaning
I will not be able to save it). The soil is just standard potting mix
with lots of loose sand. But the root ball (the soil surrounding the
roots that came with the plant) is retaining water.

Do you think it might help the plant to give water with a dilute
solution of gypsun in water?

I wonder why garden centers sell lavender at this time of year here in
south when it does not work well to transplant here at this time of
year, yet you can't get the things that do transplant and grow well
now like tomotoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, etc?

Thanks,

Amber

Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Julie Sloan

On 2 Jul 2003 08:41:11 -0700, (Amber) typed
these words:

"V_coerulea" wrote...
Hi there Amber
Lavender does not like to be transplanted during the heat (best in winter in
the south). It likes full sun, semi-shade in the southern summer, and a
quick draining soil with some lime. Is your potting mix too heavy (wet and
slow to dry) and acid? I find that lavender does best in the ground here in
the south.

SNIP

Your answer makes the most sense so far, and it is the saddest cause I
think there is a good chance the plant does not like the soil (meaning
I will not be able to save it). The soil is just standard potting mix
with lots of loose sand. But the root ball (the soil surrounding the
roots that came with the plant) is retaining water.

Hi Amber,

I bought a lavender last year (I'll try to remember what time of year,
and tell you, later), and it's doing real well here. It's my first
lavender. I'm in zone 6/7 in the foothills in northeastern Kentucky,
and my soil is fairly rich (a reddish-brown clay-gravel-dust-mud mix)
but extremely rocky. I planted the lavender among stonecrop, lilies,
and feverfew. It's on the northwest corner of the garage and gets no
more than six hours of full sun a day (tall pines to the west, garage
to the east-southeast, and we're hilly here). I planted rosemary with
it, and the rosemary didn't come back. Oh, and here's the important
part: we had a record cold winter, including a debilitating ice storm
which knocked out power in several counties for up to three weeks in
some cases. Then we had record rains for six or seven weeks: 3 out
of every 4 days in May and June it rained, and rained *hard*. And
then the lavender came back. I've yet to see if it will flower this
year, but the lush foliage, and just the fact it's made an appearance
at all, is impressive.

Good luck saving your plant. Maybe if you add some clay to your soil
mix?

Julie

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7