Old 02-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Ron

Default Strawberries in tub split??

wrote in message

I have a large pot that has strawberries in I want to propagate these

snip

Neil,

The RHS Gardening Encyclopedia recommends that each year a couple of virus
free young plants be bought and planted remotely from other strawberry
plants . These plants should not be allowed to fruit by removing flowers
and will then produce many runners to be used for producing plants for up to
two years.

I cannot understand why the RHS say one should buy plants every year then
say each will produce useable runners for up to two years! I wonder what
Ann Robinson would say about their maths!!?

I've never noticed a certified virus free strawberry plant on sale at any of
the garden centres I visit and I have no idea what any virus will do to the
plants. Perhaps someone knows and will tell us.

I use the same plants that have borne fruit as you propose to do.

Hope this and any follow-ups will help.

Regards

Ron