Old 01-07-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Strawberries in tub split??

I have a large pot that has strawberries in I want to propagate these
what, how and when is the best ways of achieving this ie loads of new
plants for next year?
Thanks
Rich
Old 02-07-2003, 03:14 AM
Dwayne

Let the runners start newly rooted plants, then in the fall cut the runners
between the main plant and the new one, and transplant the new one. Fall or
spring are good times.

Dwayne

Old 02-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Ron

wrote in message

I have a large pot that has strawberries in I want to propagate these

snip

Neil,

The RHS Gardening Encyclopedia recommends that each year a couple of virus
free young plants be bought and planted remotely from other strawberry
plants . These plants should not be allowed to fruit by removing flowers
and will then produce many runners to be used for producing plants for up to
two years.

I cannot understand why the RHS say one should buy plants every year then
say each will produce useable runners for up to two years! I wonder what
Ann Robinson would say about their maths!!?

I've never noticed a certified virus free strawberry plant on sale at any of
the garden centres I visit and I have no idea what any virus will do to the
plants. Perhaps someone knows and will tell us.

I use the same plants that have borne fruit as you propose to do.

Hope this and any follow-ups will help.

Regards

Ron

Old 02-07-2003, 09:48 PM

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:52:24 +0100, "Ron" wrote:
My problem is they are in the pot do I take off the runners and stick
them in soil away from pot or put little pots around and wait for them
to root in these?
Thanks

Old 03-07-2003, 01:24 AM
shannie

wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:52:24 +0100, "Ron" wrote:
My problem is they are in the pot do I take off the runners and stick
them in soil away from pot or put little pots around and wait for them
to root in these?
Thanks

Im very new to strawberries too Richard, but that's exactly what I've done.
I put some small pots with compost in on an upturned crate all round the pot
and when the runners reached it I pinned them in with home made pegs of
pieces of snipped sheep wire. What I do next Im not quite sure about but
they seem happy to root in the pots. All |I need to do now is find out when
to snip the apron strings

Shan

Old 03-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Ron

wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:52:24 +0100, "Ron" wrote:
My problem is they are in the pot do I take off the runners and stick
them in soil away from pot or put little pots around and wait for them
to root in these?

Leave them connected to the parent plant and keep well watered. When they
have rooted you may sever the runner. The RHS book has pictures which seem
to show multiple plants from each parent plants' runner. This can be
achieved but I never allow more than one plant to develop from one runner by
cutting off the runner beyond the first plantlet.

Ron

strawberries in a tub [email protected] United Kingdom 1 31-08-2005 05:26 PM
Versailles Tub offer in today's Times Peter Crosland United Kingdom 0 11-06-2003 10:08 AM
Bees nesting in a flower tub Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 09-06-2003 10:32 AM
claw foot tub Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
claw foot tub Lawns 0 15-01-2003 10:36 PM