Old 02-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Larry Dighera

Default JA-RO-CA Enterprises Flasking Hood

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:12:25 -0700, profpam wrote in
We built ours for under $100 with flexiglass from Home Depot and glued
it together.

That is encouraging. However you must have an inexpensive source for
flitter media. The cost of the HEPA filter alone is nearly that much
on the price lists I've seen.

My husband cut the armholes a bit tight as he used car wax
cans to hold the gloves. (Actually, he does the flasking.) It is
enclosed on all sides and has a removable top cover that contains rubber
weatherstrip edges. All in all, we have never had contamination from
using this chamber.

Oh. I thought you were talking about a laminar flow hood, but I see
now that yours is a glove-box.

But, surely it is costly to built a flasking hood yourself. It also is
time consuming. So, indeed if time is important then it might be best
to go out and buy one. And surely JA-RO-CA has been around for a while.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

I'll probably give the hood construction project a try just for the
fun of it.

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.