Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Kay Easton

Default Managing the Broad Bean harvest

In article , Steve
Harris writes
I have picked most of the broad beans in one parch early - no black
scars on any of them. I'm an impatient sort of chap. Many of the plants
are now just standing there with leaves slightly yellowing. After a
couple of weeks there's no sign of more flowers and beans. Are they
really finished?

Yes. Sometimes you get further flowers, and I've tried leaving the
plants, but the second crop never amounts to anything, and I've never
found it to be worth it. A whole are of garden tied up for perhaps one
pod.

Actually, I cut down some plants and the stumps have sprouted new growth
and flowers even. They're only about 4" tall. Will they grow and give me
a good second crop?

Or should I accept that this patch of Broad Beans is over cut them down
and bang in some lettuce?

Yes.
--
Kay Easton