Old 02-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default where are all the ladybirds?

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:34:31 +0100, "Pickle"
wrote:

This year have only found 1 ladybird larva. Why
aren't they around when you really need them? Was last year exceptionally
good for ladybirds or is this year a bad year?

Don't know about last year, but this year there are quite a few on the
Stinging Nettles along our road.

This is quite funny as I spent a lot of money on an Adalia Ladybird
"breeding" kit and they all died within a few days of the grubs
hatching. The same happened with a replacement set.

I then found that I had more freely available on my doorstep than I
could ever have hoped to raise myself.

What I would say is that there were loads of grubs in May & June. At
the start of July, the number of grubs is noticeably down. However, I
am now seeing more actual Ladybirds (presumably hatched from the
grubs...).

If it makes you feel any better, there are still loads of green &
black fly on the plants around us.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)