Old 02-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Pickle

Default where are all the ladybirds?

Last year I had ladybird larvae by the dozen dropping from my apple tree
onto the bench below, so I was able to put them on various plants to do
their aphid eating thing (very successfully too)
This year I have a largish blackfly infestation on my marigolds, irises,
sunflowers etc and so far this year I have only found 1 ladybird larva. Why
aren't they around when you really need them? Was last year exceptionally
good for ladybirds or is this year a bad year?

Old 02-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Jim W

Pickle wrote:

Last year I had ladybird larvae by the dozen dropping from my apple tree
onto the bench below, so I was able to put them on various plants to do
their aphid eating thing (very successfully too)
This year I have a largish blackfly infestation on my marigolds, irises,
sunflowers etc and so far this year I have only found 1 ladybird larva. Why
aren't they around when you really need them? Was last year exceptionally
good for ladybirds or is this year a bad year?

Plenty ladybirds here... Poss a little late this year?
//

Jim
North London, England, UK
Old 02-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Steve Harris

They are in Cheltenham. In my garden :-)

Old 02-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Pickle

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
They are in Cheltenham. In my garden :-)

Send some in the direction of Portsmouth please!

Old 02-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:34:31 +0100, "Pickle"
wrote:

This year have only found 1 ladybird larva. Why
aren't they around when you really need them? Was last year exceptionally
good for ladybirds or is this year a bad year?

Don't know about last year, but this year there are quite a few on the
Stinging Nettles along our road.

This is quite funny as I spent a lot of money on an Adalia Ladybird
"breeding" kit and they all died within a few days of the grubs
hatching. The same happened with a replacement set.

I then found that I had more freely available on my doorstep than I
could ever have hoped to raise myself.

What I would say is that there were loads of grubs in May & June. At
the start of July, the number of grubs is noticeably down. However, I
am now seeing more actual Ladybirds (presumably hatched from the
grubs...).

If it makes you feel any better, there are still loads of green &
black fly on the plants around us.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 08-07-2003, 06:32 AM
Drew & Sue

Remember 1976 ? , they were in plague numbers here in Cheshire , but so
were greenfly .
Andy

"Pickle" wrote in message
Last year I had ladybird larvae by the dozen dropping from my apple tree
onto the bench below, so I was able to put them on various plants to do
their aphid eating thing (very successfully too)
This year I have a largish blackfly infestation on my marigolds, irises,
sunflowers etc and so far this year I have only found 1 ladybird larva.

Why
aren't they around when you really need them? Was last year exceptionally
good for ladybirds or is this year a bad year?

plethora of ladybirds Phil L United Kingdom 8 26-04-2005 09:48 AM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 32 27-03-2005 10:55 PM
Ladybirds galore Pam Morris United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 10:50 AM
Greenfly / Ladybirds JennyC United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 01:11 PM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 2 18-04-2004 05:07 AM