Old 03-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Noydb

Default Did compost kill my potatoes?

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Noydb said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

But the volume of compost has shrunk to 1/8 of the original
volume. The compost now has twice as much weed killer (per volume) as
the starting material. (The shrinkage is not exaggerated, either, based
on my experience.)

I don't want to start a flamefest, but I don't think I have ever lost
anywhere near that much volume. Probably no more than 1/3 lost, 2/3 kept.
I use, almost exclusively, grass clippings and tree leaves with some
kitchen scraps for good measure. I turn perhaps twice a week (depending on
what the internal temps are), watering each time.

Does anyone have a link to a study on such shrinkage?

Perhaps 1/8 is a bit low. However, my compost regularly shrinks in volume
less than 1/4 of the original amount. I think that is probably because of
the large amount of shredded leaves that goes into each batch and the fact
that the curing
pile is regularly worked by redworms. Many of my batches also contain a
large
amount of chopped cornstalks. (Both of these materials really compost
down in volume a LOT.)

There it is. I don't use a curing pile. Until recently, I've not had enough
material to wait. I still don't have enough room. You are seeing further
shrinkage in the pile that I experience on the beds (but can not measure).
I try for a very hot compost pile, turned often (I watch for a temp.
plateau and turn when it drops 5 deg.), but applied immediately afterward.
This kills 'enough' of the seeds / diseases while leaving a generous
portion of 'the good stuff' in the mix.

Good link, BTW. Thanks.

I do not bring in any grass clippings from outside my property and avoid
using commercially made compost in my veggie garden (though I sometimes
run out of homemade compost and use bought compost on my squash beds
only).

I do use 'outside' grass clippings from two sources. 1) The alley that runs
behind my house and 2) neighbors whom I KNOW apply no chemicals at all to
their weedbeds, er, um, yards. This spring, venturing further down the
alley, I found the mother-lode of dandelion patches ... where the grass
grows tall, the dandelions do, too! Can you say "salad"?
MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Bill