Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Noydb

Default Did compost kill my potatoes?

Henriette Kress wrote:

For anything else, undiluted compost is so strong it'll burn the roots
off. So for 99.99 % of plants, you have to dilute: 1 part compost, 1 part
peat, 1 part sand. This I learned the hard way, years and years ago...

Henriette

Ut, oh ... guess I better go pull up the garlic and onions I planted last
fall in straight, unfinished and unaged, compost.

And the lettuce I interplanted with it this spring.

I laid down a 2" layer of compost, plonked my alliums on top and covered
with another 2" (plus) layer. Then I applied a winter blanket of tree
leaves that got pulled back in the spring.

In fact, I mulch my garden with a 2"+ layer of unfinished compost and the
darned thing is so lush I am expecting the photographers to show up any day
now. :-) The strawberries gave me (from 100 sq ft) 2# - 4# per day during
their season. They were transplanted last year. This is their first
"established" year. Got really nice yields off the mesclun mix and the
spinach.

I have an unusual garden, made to settle over time and keep the planting bed
loose for a long time. I make up the settling / fill any voids with
compost.

YMMV, but it works for me.
Bill