Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Dave

Default Cycnoches & Catasetum Culture

I repotted 3 bulbs, the old back bulb I planted in another pot and it put
out new growth. When I did not repot I got one new bulb per year.
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
s.com...
did u also separate into single or 2-3 bulb pieces? I understand the
repotting thing is to make sure to keep them dry while dormant which can

be
difficult to remember I've left mine (I only have one) in a pot now

for
it's 3rd year and it's bloomed faithfully w/ 2 spikes on the lead bulb

each
year. Started w/ a 2 bulb piece and it has grown one new one each year.

may unpot it when it goes dormant this year and divide...

"Dave" wrote in message
. com...
I did not see the need to repot them annually until a grower told me I

would
get better flowering plants. I tried it, removed them from the pot in

the
fall and repotted them in the spring, one with two bulbs grew 4 new ones
and bloomed beautiful - have been repotting annually since.
"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
om...
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message

arthlink.net...

I only have a few of these in my collection and they have only grown

single lead each year. I just thought they were not big enough to

grow
into
multiple growth plants.

I'd like to hear the opinion of the RGO members here. Do you divide

your
Cycnoches and Catestums into individual backbulbs regularly?

I only have a few myself, but both of my plants of Cyc. Rocky Clough
grew 'bulbs from each of 2 separate leads. I guess that's not quite
the same as sprouting growths from backbulbs, but still, the result is
2 new growths in the pot.

The others I have, species, are too new to tell what they'll do yet.
Since I haven't found the need to repot annually (I don't keep them
quite bone dry while dormant so they don't lose all their old roots),
annual division seems like more work than it's worth, absent other
considerations.

Michael