Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Wiring for literati - bending

Hi Shireen,

Bending "in increments over a long period of time" really is

not a good
technique. The branch should be bent to its desired position

(or a bit
overcompensated for future repositioning) and left at that.

Making multiple
bends over time will either kill the branch or will cause an

ugly swelling.

Well, that kinda depends on the species, eh? Azalea -- to name
just one -- often can be sharply bent ONLY in increments, and
over several years. Most deciduous trees are more forgiving. It
is no doubt true that if you CAN bend it all at once, that's the
best way. But Buxus, Maclura, Vaccinium, Celtis and other very
hard woods often take a bit more time than that to reach their
ultimate shape -- and without dying or bulging.

I think she was talking about tropicals -- ficus and the like --
and I have no idea how they would take to incremental bending (or
anything else, much).

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++