Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Julie Sloan

Default new to group & lavender questions

On 2 Jul 2003 08:41:11 -0700, (Amber) typed
these words:

"V_coerulea" wrote...
Hi there Amber
Lavender does not like to be transplanted during the heat (best in winter in
the south). It likes full sun, semi-shade in the southern summer, and a
quick draining soil with some lime. Is your potting mix too heavy (wet and
slow to dry) and acid? I find that lavender does best in the ground here in
the south.

SNIP

Your answer makes the most sense so far, and it is the saddest cause I
think there is a good chance the plant does not like the soil (meaning
I will not be able to save it). The soil is just standard potting mix
with lots of loose sand. But the root ball (the soil surrounding the
roots that came with the plant) is retaining water.

Hi Amber,

I bought a lavender last year (I'll try to remember what time of year,
and tell you, later), and it's doing real well here. It's my first
lavender. I'm in zone 6/7 in the foothills in northeastern Kentucky,
and my soil is fairly rich (a reddish-brown clay-gravel-dust-mud mix)
but extremely rocky. I planted the lavender among stonecrop, lilies,
and feverfew. It's on the northwest corner of the garage and gets no
more than six hours of full sun a day (tall pines to the west, garage
to the east-southeast, and we're hilly here). I planted rosemary with
it, and the rosemary didn't come back. Oh, and here's the important
part: we had a record cold winter, including a debilitating ice storm
which knocked out power in several counties for up to three weeks in
some cases. Then we had record rains for six or seven weeks: 3 out
of every 4 days in May and June it rained, and rained *hard*. And
then the lavender came back. I've yet to see if it will flower this
year, but the lush foliage, and just the fact it's made an appearance
at all, is impressive.

Good luck saving your plant. Maybe if you add some clay to your soil
mix?

Julie

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7