Old 03-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Chad

Default How do you protect your external pump from rain?

I built a pump housing in the ground out of 2 X 10's. I lined the
bottom with 2" rock for water to drain. Then put a 2 x 10 cross beam
in the middle to anchor my sequence pump to. Above ground, I built a
cover for the top, but you can pick up fake rock covers that work
quite nicely.

They have them at various places on the internet for around $50 - $75.
You can see one at www.krupps.com under artifical rock.

My setup got its first test this week when my hose faucet ruptured
while I was at work on Tuesday. It happened to be about 15 ft. up
hill from my pump housing. When I got home I had inches of water in
the grass near the faucet, water seeping out of my retaining wall
downhill about 4 ft from my pump, and the pump housing was dry.

I found the hardest part was hiding the 1 1/2 inch flexible PVC. If
you want the hose hid then you need to really sink the pump. I found
a picture that you can see my pump location. It is to the back a
little to the left of the skimmer and you can see the pvc coming out
of the ground a little before going into my new landscaping. To
finish it off I am going to plant some native grasses in front of the
housing.

http://members.cox.net/bokowski/pump_housing_sm.jpg