Old 03-07-2003, 04:44 AM
DesertPond

Default How do you protect your external pump from rain?

I'm in the middle of a upgrade project and the Monsoon season is about
to hit AZ. What is the best way to protect my external Sequence pump?
Is there a DIY option that works?

thx
Old 03-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Chad

I built a pump housing in the ground out of 2 X 10's. I lined the
bottom with 2" rock for water to drain. Then put a 2 x 10 cross beam
in the middle to anchor my sequence pump to. Above ground, I built a
cover for the top, but you can pick up fake rock covers that work
quite nicely.

They have them at various places on the internet for around $50 - $75.
You can see one at www.krupps.com under artifical rock.

My setup got its first test this week when my hose faucet ruptured
while I was at work on Tuesday. It happened to be about 15 ft. up
hill from my pump housing. When I got home I had inches of water in
the grass near the faucet, water seeping out of my retaining wall
downhill about 4 ft from my pump, and the pump housing was dry.

I found the hardest part was hiding the 1 1/2 inch flexible PVC. If
you want the hose hid then you need to really sink the pump. I found
a picture that you can see my pump location. It is to the back a
little to the left of the skimmer and you can see the pvc coming out
of the ground a little before going into my new landscaping. To
finish it off I am going to plant some native grasses in front of the
housing.

http://members.cox.net/bokowski/pump_housing_sm.jpg
Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 PM
DesertPond

Thanks Chad, I appreciate the info. I was considering building it's
own little structure. I'd heard about people using rubbermaid
containers and manufactured pump houses as well.

The difficulty I always have with in ground work, which unfortunatly
is this whole project is the kind of 'soil' we have here, Almost pure
rock. The entire area around my pond at 6" or more in depth actually
looks like an old fashioned rock flood wall like in England ( no
joke).

Old 03-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

We have lots of rocks also. The upside is, once you have removed them, the
ground is pretty stable. I've heard of folks with sandy soil and it's
constantly shifting.

About the pump house. At first we just had a plastic tub dug into the
ground to house the pump. But several modifications later and, I agree, put
several inches of gravel below the box, just in case the box does fill with
water, it will drain. (Happened to me, the Sequence was submerged in water
for several hours. Dried it out and it's been working for 2 years since.
Gotta love these pumps.) Build a 2" wall around the housing above the
ground in case water does build up near the house. It's rough looking but
what we ended up doing was digging out the soil around the box and
backfilling with concrete, then using the concrete to built up a 2'' wall.

The roof is a slanted board with shingles on it. It sits on a open wooden
frame about 8" off the ground at one side and 12" at the back. I wanted
something that allowed air circulation because it gets hot here.

Ps, since you live in AZ, you will understand this: put a thin board inside
the pump house that goes from the bottom to the top to allow lizards to
escape.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense, it is the other
way around. Human rights invented America." Jimmy Carter

Old 03-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

The artificial hollow rock cover looks pretty natural, but if you're just
looking for something quick, cover it with a plastic tote. You can put
plants on it or something to disguise it while you're finding a better
alternative.

Lee

Old 03-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Kevin

DesertPond tapetrade@[No Spam]cox.net wrote in message . ..
I'm in the middle of a upgrade project and the Monsoon season is about
to hit AZ. What is the best way to protect my external Sequence pump?
Is there a DIY option that works?

thx

I built a pumphouse to hold everything, pump, filter, UV light. Made
it big enough to hold all my garden tools and pond supplies as well.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
DesertPond tapetrade@[No Spam]cox.net wrote in message

. ..
I'm in the middle of a upgrade project and the Monsoon season is about
to hit AZ. What is the best way to protect my external Sequence pump?
Is there a DIY option that works?

thx

I built a pumphouse to hold everything, pump, filter, UV light. Made
it big enough to hold all my garden tools and pond supplies as well.

I keep my tractor, weed wacker, edger and all my other garden tools in mine
too. I just never put a pump in it.

BV.

Old 03-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

I believe it's called "caliche", and is actually the limestone bottom of the
(former) Salton Sea. It can run several feet thick and is best handled with
a jack-hammer (or drilled and dynamited!). On the bright side, at least it's
limestone and not granite!

Good luck!

Lee

Old 04-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Ted

I used a Rubbermaid container to put mine in. I cut holes in the sides for
the pipes and the cord. the lid snaps on and keeps the rain out. I am in
Houston and we get very strong rain. I used plumbers putty to fill the
original holes I cut but I am going to redo this and use bulkhead fittings.

Lisa
http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001

Old 04-07-2003, 12:32 AM
DesertPond

Thanks Lisa :-) and to everyone who posted with ideas. All of them are
greatly appreciated. Love your pond by the way.

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:14:46 GMT, "Ted"
wrote:

I used a Rubbermaid container to put mine in. I cut holes in the sides for
the pipes and the cord. the lid snaps on and keeps the rain out. I am in
Houston and we get very strong rain. I used plumbers putty to fill the
original holes I cut but I am going to redo this and use bulkhead fittings.

Lisa
http://community.webshots.com/user/ldziedzic2001

.. .

Old 04-07-2003, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

I had the shed for my tractor, weed whacker, and all the other garden tools,
and installed the filters and sequence pumps in it. I need another shed.
Too many plant pots, test kits, pond treatments, dechlor, bacteria,
fertilizers, spare plumbing, air pumps, heaters, old filters, pond soil,
potting soil, and the list goes on and on. Now I need another shed for the
yard toys.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in