Old 03-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Daniel Hanna

Default Help, I think I killed my rose

In 5d%Ma.32754$ZE.3734@lakeread05 Laura Gilbert wrote:
I recently transplanted a climbing rose. All the leaves have dried up
and are turning brown. The canes are still green, should I cut it
back? What is the proper way to transplant these plants. I have two
more I need to move. I am in zone 7 in eastern Virginia.

Moving roses mid-season isn't a great idea. And as for climbers, it's
probably a case of 'the bigger they come, the harder they fall'.

If this can't wait until next winter, make sure that you get as many
roots as possible when you dig up the bush. Lift from beneath, don't
pull from the top. Transplant firmly into the new soil, which should be
well broken up (not solid clay or heavy clumps). Sprinkle in some
rooting hormone powder before you fill the planting hole. Fill the hole
with soil or high-end potting mix, firm it down and water in well.

There's no need to cut back the stems, but you need to baby the plant
for a few weeks at least. Liquid feeds of seaweed emulsion will prompt
root growth. Don't use powdered fertiliser until you see fresh shoots
growing.

Even if you follow all this, Laura, the rose may still die of transplant
shock.