Old 03-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Eto Demerzel

Default OT(?): Squirrels And Ultrasonics

Hi,

Firstly, let me apologise if this is off-topic in uk.rec.gardening. I've
seen some similar posts in the google archive, so hopefully I'll not be
needing any flame-proof clothing.

I have a bit of a problem with grey squirrels. There's lots of them
nearby here, and I'd like to keep them out of the garden and away from
the birdfeeders and decking.

First attempt to keep away the squirrels was a pepper-based spray which
is supposed to keep away squirrels, but not affect birds. It affected
neither the birds, nor the squirrels.

Second attempt was a PestBan ultrasonic repeller. The instructions said
that squirells would best be dealt with by setting the device to a low
frequency (and that this would take care of rats and mice, also). Still,
the squirells came, and so we turned the volume output up, and tried
other frequency settings. This was not effective, and Pestban have said
to return the unit to them.

I have read in archived posts that moth-balls are supposed to be very
good at keeping squirrels away, but I'm not overly-keen on putting
poisons all around the garden.

Has anyone here found any great ways of evicting squirrels? Any tips or
advice?

Thanks,

E../