Old 03-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Eto Demerzel

Default OT(?): Squirrels And Ultrasonics

Hi,

Firstly, let me apologise if this is off-topic in uk.rec.gardening. I've
seen some similar posts in the google archive, so hopefully I'll not be
needing any flame-proof clothing.

I have a bit of a problem with grey squirrels. There's lots of them
nearby here, and I'd like to keep them out of the garden and away from
the birdfeeders and decking.

First attempt to keep away the squirrels was a pepper-based spray which
is supposed to keep away squirrels, but not affect birds. It affected
neither the birds, nor the squirrels.

Second attempt was a PestBan ultrasonic repeller. The instructions said
that squirells would best be dealt with by setting the device to a low
frequency (and that this would take care of rats and mice, also). Still,
the squirells came, and so we turned the volume output up, and tried
other frequency settings. This was not effective, and Pestban have said
to return the unit to them.

I have read in archived posts that moth-balls are supposed to be very
good at keeping squirrels away, but I'm not overly-keen on putting
poisons all around the garden.

Has anyone here found any great ways of evicting squirrels? Any tips or
advice?

Thanks,

E../
Old 04-07-2003, 08:45 AM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:51:37 GMT, Eto Demerzel
wrote:

~
~Hi,
~
[...]

Warning: some of my suggestions are tongue-in-cheek!

I have terrible trouble with them too, but haven't so far got any
means of actually keeping them out. I tend to go for protecting stuff
from them, ie all pots of bulbs have 1" galvanised mesh buried just
under the surface, so the shoots grow through but the little beggars
can't dig down. This is especially necessary for tulips and croci. I
also use upturned empty hanging baskets to cover pots until the plants
are growing well.

I have an old plastic-coated clothes line in the back: this would have
been taken down years ago if it wasn't for its use in suspending
birdfood! The little fat balls and a squirrel-proof feeder are both
suspended from it, and so far the local population hasn't risen to the
heights of the assault course squirrels in that BBC program some years
ago... so the food is still safe. This also keeps the birdies safe
from the neighbourhood cats.

Sometimes actually having a cat is useful, though I suspect they are
in general too lazy to chase squirrels unless you have a giant bruiser
of a tom. Acquiring a terrier would work. That way no squirrels, no
pigeons, mice, rats and definitely no cats! (And you can get dog
flaps).
Trouble is dogs also keep away birds (though, when my parents had
their cairn terrier, the bird table was a hive of activity as they
*knew* no cats would be lurking and that the dog couldn't get to the
table... since he died they sort-of disappeared.)

You can get special heat- or motion-detecting water-jet scarers: they
are designed for cats but there's nothing to say they can't be set for
detecting rodents either. I'd bet a high powered jet up the bum would
scare off the most determined squirrel. (Roughly £70-80 a unit,
though. I have a URL somewhere if anyone's interested.)

Failing this, ring the local gun club and see if anyone wants some
target practice! I'm sure the lure of a day being fed beer and sitting
in a sunny garden taking potshots at vermin would be attractive!
(I've been very tempted to do this woodpigeons at the allotment!)

Good luck!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 26-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Alan Holmes

"Eto Demerzel" wrote in message

[...]

Only just caught up with this!

There is only one way to deal with squirrels and that is to obtain a
mink/rat trap from Mole Valley Farmers, branches in Somerset.

As far as I'm aware there is only one squirrel left in our area and
three traps waiting for it, a couple of years ago we were overrun
with the damned things!

Some of my neighbours don't like the things either!

Alan

Old 16-08-2003, 01:02 PM
hugo agogo

"Alan Holmes" wrote

There is only one way to deal with squirrels and that is to obtain a
mink/rat trap from Mole Valley Farmers, branches in Somerset.

As far as I'm aware there is only one squirrel left in our area and
three traps waiting for it, a couple of years ago we were overrun
with the damned things!

Went to harvest our first sweetcorn this morning to find that some
little b****** had been helping themselves. The damage didn't look
badger-like or pigeon-like, and I strongly suspect squirrels, although
I have personally never seen one in the allotments (others have).

Too late to do anything about it this year, but for next year....
Airguns spring to mind, but something more acceptable to my allotment
neighbours might be required. Traps? I had never thought of
trapping until I urg-googled for squirrels. The only problem with
traps is that you either have to release the trappee at a remote
location, or you have to despatch it on the spot (how?)

Looking at Mole Valley Farmers website, I could find no traps for
anything - perhaps they don't sell these items on the net.

Any suggestions?
Old 17-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Steve Harris

Couple of legal points.

- Use of airguns is generally restricted to your own land unless you
have permission. I'm not sure where a rented allotment stands
- You would be committing an offence if you carried the gun through
the streets with a pellet in the breech even if it was not cocked.
- You would be committing an offence by releasing a grey squirrel
anywhere but on your own land. Humane killing is fine.