Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 AM
John DeBoo

Default Dahlias (Figaro)

We purchased a number of these small plants (Figaro Dahlia's)from
WalMart earlier this year and they've grown like they were they were
on fire. Guess I did something right with the soil & watering.
Beautiful plants. Even though its early, I'm wondering if the bulbs
(not sure of proper term here) need to be dug up, dried and kept on
a dark place until next year, or if they can be left out in the
ground. I'm in zone 7 (Albuquerque). If they need to be dug up,
when? I've searched the 'net and mostly find places selling them
but little to no info on how to 'winter' them. When I was young, my
mom in Seattle had loads of them and always dug them up and stored
them in the attic until next year - much to my dad's displeasureG.
Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated as these flowers are much
too pretty to just replace next year.