Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 AM
John DeBoo

Default Dahlias (Figaro)

We purchased a number of these small plants (Figaro Dahlia's)from
WalMart earlier this year and they've grown like they were they were
on fire. Guess I did something right with the soil & watering.
Beautiful plants. Even though its early, I'm wondering if the bulbs
(not sure of proper term here) need to be dug up, dried and kept on
a dark place until next year, or if they can be left out in the
ground. I'm in zone 7 (Albuquerque). If they need to be dug up,
when? I've searched the 'net and mostly find places selling them
but little to no info on how to 'winter' them. When I was young, my
mom in Seattle had loads of them and always dug them up and stored
them in the attic until next year - much to my dad's displeasureG.
Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated as these flowers are much
too pretty to just replace next year.

Old 06-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Vox Humana

"John DeBoo" wrote in message
We purchased a number of these small plants (Figaro Dahlia's)from
WalMart earlier this year and they've grown like they were they were
on fire. Guess I did something right with the soil & watering.
Beautiful plants. Even though its early, I'm wondering if the bulbs
(not sure of proper term here) need to be dug up, dried and kept on
a dark place until next year, or if they can be left out in the
ground. I'm in zone 7 (Albuquerque). If they need to be dug up,
when? I've searched the 'net and mostly find places selling them
but little to no info on how to 'winter' them. When I was young, my
mom in Seattle had loads of them and always dug them up and stored
them in the attic until next year - much to my dad's displeasureG.
Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated as these flowers are much
too pretty to just replace next year.

They are sold as annuals here in SW Ohio (zone 6) I think they make a
wonderful bedding plant with lots of blooms right up till frost. I haven't
had any pest or disease problems with them. The only negative is that I
think they need to be dead headed to look their best and that can be time
consuming.

I dug them the first year I had them and replanted in the spring. The next
year I just left them in the ground and they came back for the next two
years. I lost them the following year. In zone 7 they will be more
reliable but not guaranteed. You could dig them in the fall and replant the
next spring or take your chances. I wouldn't store them in the attic, at
least not in my attic. Ideally the attic temperature should be the same as
the roof temperature unless your attic is a finished living space.
Therefore, the temperature in the attic will be far colder in the winter and
far warmer in the summer than the ground. I would dig them and put them in
some slightly moist peat, wood shavings, or newspaper in a box and store
them in a cool place between 45 and 55 F. A cool basement or a closet on an
outside wall would be preferable to an unfinished attic.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:57 AM
John DeBoo

Vox Humana wrote:
"John DeBoo" wrote in message

We purchased a number of these small plants (Figaro Dahlia's)from
WalMart earlier this year and they've grown like they were they were
on fire. Guess I did something right with the soil & watering.

I dug them the first year I had them and replanted in the spring. The next
year I just left them in the ground and they came back for the next two
years. I lost them the following year. In zone 7 they will be more
reliable but not guaranteed.

Thanks! Maybe I'll take a chance on them in the ground. We get
frost etc but nothing that goes deep. When we had a pool I only
drained it down a foot or so and rarely if ever had a layer of ice
on it. They were inexpensive so if they die I'll go to WalMart next
year and buy more. They sure are pretty plants! I didn't think
they'd like 95º+ temps but it has not phased them in the least.

Zone 7, Albuquerque

Old 08-07-2003, 02:20 PM
GrampysGurl

Therefore, the temperature in the attic will be far colder in the winter and
far warmer in the summer than the ground. I would dig them and put them in
some slightly moist peat, wood shavings, or newspaper in a box and store
them in a cool place between 45 and 55 F. A cool basement or a closet on an
outside wall would be preferable to an unfinished attic.

Zone 5 Connecticut here and we insulate the snots out of our attics, it is
about 45-55 degrees during the winter... During a cold snap it may be a bit
cooler but it is never freezing up there... I store my dahlias in loosely
wrapped news paper in a paper bag in the attic and they do well. I might add we
also insulate between the living space and the attic.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 08-07-2003, 02:20 PM
GrampysGurl

I didn't think
they'd like 95º+ temps but it has not phased them in the least.

Zone 7, Albuquerque

They like it very hot, as long as they get their watering needs met they bloom
like crazy in the heat. They are one of my very favorites. My neighbor comes
over to see mine and always tells me how they remind her of her Mom ) It
makes me happy *my garden can stir that feeling in someone since my garden is
designed from a childhood memory of mine... one that obviously makes me happy
or I wouldn't be doing it.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Starlord

I have named Dahlias growing (tring to at lest) and while they might do ok in
the 75 to 85 range of heat, above that and they suffer, I know as they have a
hard time here in the High Mojave Desert where it's been 100+ for over a week
now.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"GrampysGurl" wrote in message
I didn't think
they'd like 95º+ temps but it has not phased them in the least.

Zone 7, Albuquerque

They like it very hot, as long as they get their watering needs met they bloom
like crazy in the heat. They are one of my very favorites. My neighbor comes
over to see mine and always tells me how they remind her of her Mom ) It
makes me happy *my garden can stir that feeling in someone since my garden is
designed from a childhood memory of mine... one that obviously makes me happy
or I wouldn't be doing it.

---

Old 08-07-2003, 06:00 PM
John DeBoo

GrampysGurl wrote:
I didn't think
they'd like 95º+ temps but it has not phased them in the least.

Zone 7, Albuquerque

They like it very hot, as long as they get their watering needs met they bloom
like crazy in the heat. They are one of my very favorites. My neighbor comes
over to see mine and always tells me how they remind her of her Mom ) It
makes me happy *my garden can stir that feeling in someone since my garden is
designed from a childhood memory of mine... one that obviously makes me happy
or I wouldn't be doing it.

Ours remind me of my mom also while growing up in Seattle. Of
course her dahlias were 4'-6' tall but none the less... My wife is
in love with them so I'm sure they will be regulars in our garden
from now on.

Old 08-07-2003, 06:00 PM
John DeBoo

We've been between 96º and 100º all last week and expected same for
the remainder of this week in Albuquerque. Maybe getting some of
the 'Figaros' would work in your area. All I did to prep the soil
in their 2ea 2sqft area (8 plants total, way too many) was add some
bagged steer manure and mix it with peat moss & the sandy soil, then
water daily.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Starlord

I had some of those the 1st year I was here, and they lasted until about the
middle of Aug and that was in the part shade of the chinese elm out front. I've
got dahlias growing in pots this year and so far the mojave sun has burned
almost all the leaves off one dahlia and partly on others. If anyplace on Earth
was to be named Dahlia HELL, this out here in the Calif. High Mojave Desert with
it's 100+ heat and less than 10% humide would be it.

BTW, you can lean more about dahlias on the Dahlia-net list.

or

for dahlia talk and sharing of photos ...

The Photo Dahlia-net

--

Starlord wrote:
I have named Dahlias growing (tring to at lest) and while they might do ok

in
the 75 to 85 range of heat, above that and they suffer, I know as they have

hard time here in the High Mojave Desert where it's been 100+ for over a

week
now.

---

[IMG] code is On

Figaro! FIGARO! FIIIIGAAAAROOOO! Penelope Periwinkle Edible Gardening 2 31-12-2005 04:10 PM
dahlias...am I in trouble seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-06-2003 03:32 AM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM