Old 04-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Noydb

Default Did compost kill my potatoes?

Henriette Kress wrote:

Noydb wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote:

For anything else, undiluted compost is so strong it'll burn the roots
off. So for 99.99 % of plants, you have to dilute: 1 part compost, 1
part peat, 1 part sand. This I learned the hard way, years and years
ago...

Uh, oh ... guess I better go pull up the garlic and onions I planted last
fall in straight, unfinished and unaged, compost.

Yes, this does tend to segue into "and this plant, and this, and this".
Just so long as you don't plant basil, dill, parsley, thyme, sage,
echinacea, tarragon, and so on in it... I think even my mints died.

Henriette

Usually, finished compost assays out at about 1-1-1. As a fertilizer, it's
pretty lame. It's more impressive for its trace minerals and changes to the
soil structure that allow it to handle water better and for providing food
/ habitat for a number of soil denizens.