Old 04-07-2003, 06:44 AM
B & J

Default Tiger Lily

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"spider" wrote in message
Here in Pennsylvania we have daylily that grows along side our roads and

all
us Pennsylvania Dutch folks
call them tiger lilies. I have never seen them for sale at any of the

local
shops. dose any one know the lily I'm talking about and more important

where
I can get some?

Springhill Nursery just had it's huge catalog clearance sale at it's
facility near Dayton, Ohio. They had tons of them at the sale. You might
check with them, but since they cleared out their stock they may not have
any left. It seems they carry the same items from year to year so if they
don't have left you may find them next year. I have several huge clumps

of
them. They multiply like rabbits.

I use the double version of "ditch" day lilies for erosion control in my
sloped yard and find they do well with neither care nor extra water. I
planted them outside my regular raised beds, where the only nutrients they
receive come from what leaches. They do a great job of preventing soil
erosion around the edges of my iris bed as well as a large, perennial bed
and have established a thick growth of plants in the past two years. They
also do a good job of blooming in spite (or maybe because of) no care.

John