Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Darkginger

Default Seed catalogues

shannie wrote in message
Hi All,

I've never had seed catalogues but I see a lot of urglers refer to them
here. Are they overall cheaper than gc's? The average packet of veg seeds
here is euro 2.35 which is about £1.50stg, is this expensive? Unless your
talking cucumber seeds which cost euro 5.00 (£3.00stg) for five seeds

When
would be the time to order the catalogues? If there is anyone in Ireland
reading and uses them could you let me know if there are any irish

companies
with catalogues and if not do the uk catalogues post to here. Anyone

favour
one over the other and why?

Sorry for all the questions :-/
Many thanks

Hi again, Shannie! I discovered the Thompson & Morgan online catalogue (and
paper one, which they sent with my first order) earlier this year (mainly
'cos it was designed by a friend of mine!) and it's now a regular haunt.
They do deliver (seeds only, not mini-plants or similar) to Ireland - took
two weeks for my online order to arrive, and a further week for some
seedling pots (which were posted in Germany) to get here, although I note
that they're now not offering those pots to people outside mainland UK. I
find the prices reasonable - more or less the same as when I buy T & M seeds
from a nearby garden centre. T & M will send you a catalogue any time of
year. They're at http://www.thompson-morgan.com .

If you order from them, do let me know - I'd love to see whether we're
growing similar things, and could compare experiences with them. Most of my
seeds this year came from them, and I'm impressed with their quality (high
germination rate, clear instructions, successful plants!).

I recently discovered garden.ie, too ( http://www.garden.ie ) which looks as
though it could be an interesting place to hang out - needs a few more
people to get involved, though. They helped me source Japanese Blood Grass
in Ireland (not that I've ordered it yet!) and seem generally helpful.

How's the hens? We have 3 of our 6 laying now - isn't it fun?

Jo

---