Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 AM
shannie

Default Seed catalogues

Hi All,

I've never had seed catalogues but I see a lot of urglers refer to them
here. Are they overall cheaper than gc's? The average packet of veg seeds
here is euro 2.35 which is about £1.50stg, is this expensive? Unless your
talking cucumber seeds which cost euro 5.00 (£3.00stg) for five seeds When
would be the time to order the catalogues? If there is anyone in Ireland
reading and uses them could you let me know if there are any irish companies
with catalogues and if not do the uk catalogues post to here. Anyone favour
one over the other and why?

Sorry for all the questions :-/
Many thanks
--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Darkginger

shannie wrote in message
Hi All,

I've never had seed catalogues but I see a lot of urglers refer to them
here. Are they overall cheaper than gc's? The average packet of veg seeds
here is euro 2.35 which is about £1.50stg, is this expensive? Unless your
talking cucumber seeds which cost euro 5.00 (£3.00stg) for five seeds

When
would be the time to order the catalogues? If there is anyone in Ireland
reading and uses them could you let me know if there are any irish

companies
with catalogues and if not do the uk catalogues post to here. Anyone

favour
one over the other and why?

Sorry for all the questions :-/
Many thanks

Hi again, Shannie! I discovered the Thompson & Morgan online catalogue (and
paper one, which they sent with my first order) earlier this year (mainly
'cos it was designed by a friend of mine!) and it's now a regular haunt.
They do deliver (seeds only, not mini-plants or similar) to Ireland - took
two weeks for my online order to arrive, and a further week for some
seedling pots (which were posted in Germany) to get here, although I note
that they're now not offering those pots to people outside mainland UK. I
find the prices reasonable - more or less the same as when I buy T & M seeds
from a nearby garden centre. T & M will send you a catalogue any time of
year. They're at http://www.thompson-morgan.com .

If you order from them, do let me know - I'd love to see whether we're
growing similar things, and could compare experiences with them. Most of my
seeds this year came from them, and I'm impressed with their quality (high
germination rate, clear instructions, successful plants!).

I recently discovered garden.ie, too ( http://www.garden.ie ) which looks as
though it could be an interesting place to hang out - needs a few more
people to get involved, though. They helped me source Japanese Blood Grass
in Ireland (not that I've ordered it yet!) and seem generally helpful.

How's the hens? We have 3 of our 6 laying now - isn't it fun?

Jo

---

Old 04-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Jim W

shannie wrote:

Hi All,

I've never had seed catalogues but I see a lot of urglers refer to them
here. Are they overall cheaper than gc's? The average packet of veg seeds
here is euro 2.35 which is about £1.50stg, is this expensive? Unless your
talking cucumber seeds which cost euro 5.00 (£3.00stg) for five seeds When
would be the time to order the catalogues? If there is anyone in Ireland
reading and uses them could you let me know if there are any irish companies
with catalogues and if not do the uk catalogues post to here. Anyone favour
one over the other and why?

Sorry for all the questions :-/
Many thanks
--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Try a search for 'seed suppliers' or seed merchants at:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=seeds&...-1&hl=en&meta=
ee also

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...ngdom/Business
_and_Economy/Shopping/Home_and_Garden/Gardens/Plants/Seeds/
http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...ngdom/Business
_and_Economy/Industries/Agriculture_and_Forestry/Horticulture/Seeds/

Catalogues favoured by me..

Future foods, Gnostic Gardens, Chilterns Seeds, T&M (mainly for ref,
they are expensive) You will find that non hybrid seeds are generally
cheaper (hence the high price of hybrid cucumber seed)
HDRA catalogue (The organic Gardening catalogue), Tamar organics
(competitive), THomas Etty Esq, Kings (worth getting for their 'potato
guide' in their catalogue! Also occasionally from Marshalls as we stock
them in our local allotments trading shed.. I tend to avoid the big
guys, Dobies, Suttons, plenty of their products are just that, and
funded by Agropharmer co's.

Most of the above's sites are listed he

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...ngdom/Business
_and_Economy/Shopping/Home_and_Garden/Gardens/Plants/Seeds/

and will post within the EC under the relavent legislation (See DEFRA
pages on seed etc)

Point and click,.. shoot off a few emails and wait for the post;-) A
lot also have good websites if you can't wait that long;-)

Whiile your at it you might also look for 'Seed Savers' and Seed
Sharing.. A lot of people save their own seed and share it with others
(We do this in URG) IT may not come with the gaurantee's of a large
company, but its a hell of a lot cheaper and good fun;-)
//
Jim
North London, England, UK
Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 PM
shazzbat

"shannie" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've never had seed catalogues but I see a lot of urglers refer to them
here. Are they overall cheaper than gc's? The average packet of veg seeds
here is euro 2.35 which is about £1.50stg, is this expensive? Unless your
talking cucumber seeds which cost euro 5.00 (£3.00stg) for five seeds

When
would be the time to order the catalogues? If there is anyone in Ireland
reading and uses them could you let me know if there are any irish

companies
with catalogues and if not do the uk catalogues post to here. Anyone

favour
one over the other and why?

Sorry for all the questions :-/
Many thanks
--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Hi Shannie, I don't know if you get places like LIDL/ALDI or
superbuy/poundstretcher etc in Ireland, but these can be a good source of
cheaper seeds. One place near me did all their flower and veg seeds at 4
packets for £1.00

Also if you have a horticultural or allotment society near you, you can club
together to get discounts from suppliers. If you don't have an allotment,
they may let you join as an outside member to use the facilities.

HTH

Steve

Old 05-07-2003, 12:44 AM
shannie

Hi Shannie, I don't know if you get places like LIDL/ALDI or
superbuy/poundstretcher etc in Ireland, but these can be a good source of
cheaper seeds. One place near me did all their flower and veg seeds at 4
packets for £1.00

Yup...we have lidl but the only seeds this year were herbs and not as cheap
as yourselves unfortunately However, they are quite new here so maybe
next year they'll have a bigger range, fingers crossed

Also if you have a horticultural or allotment society near you, you can

club
together to get discounts from suppliers. If you don't have an allotment,
they may let you join as an outside member to use the facilities.

Believe it or not we don't have allotments here in Ireland, at least none I
know of or have ever heard of, isn't that weird?

HTH

Steve

Old 05-07-2003, 01:45 AM
shannie

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fxkizc.1712yi21r8js8wN%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...
shannie wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim That'll keep me busy for a while

Shan

Old 05-07-2003, 01:56 AM
shannie

"Darkginger" wrote in message

I discovered the Thompson & Morgan online catalogue (and paper one,
which they sent with my first order) earlier this year They do deliver

(seeds only, not mini-plants or similar) to Ireland - took
two weeks for my online order to arrive, and a further week for some
seedling pots I find the prices reasonable - more or less the same as

when I buy T & M seeds from a nearby garden centre
My gc is about three miles from me, not much point in ordering from a
catalogue if the prices are the same, I'll order it just the same to have a
look tho
If you order from them, do let me know - I'd love to see whether we're
growing similar things, and could compare experiences with them. Most of
my seeds this year came from them, and I'm impressed with their quality

(high germination rate, clear instructions, successful plants!).
I recently discovered garden.ie, too ( http://www.garden.ie ) which looks
as though it could be an interesting place to hang out

yup been with them from the outset try www.dermotoneill.com also, they
need people too, a lovely site

How's the hens? We have 3 of our 6 laying now - isn't it fun?

Thanks Jo
Have emailed you off group

Jo

---

Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim W

shannie wrote:

Hi Shannie, I don't know if you get places like LIDL/ALDI or
superbuy/poundstretcher etc in Ireland, but these can be a good source of
cheaper seeds. One place near me did all their flower and veg seeds at 4
packets for £1.00

Yup...we have lidl but the only seeds this year were herbs and not as cheap
as yourselves unfortunately However, they are quite new here so maybe
next year they'll have a bigger range, fingers crossed

See also Wilkinsons or larger Asda stores. Or indeed any good B&Q /
Sainsburies or other large supermarket.. I mention ASDA as they are
owned by US Walmart now and poss a good source of cheaper goods (inc
seeds)

Also if you have a horticultural or allotment society near you, you can

club
together to get discounts from suppliers. If you don't have an allotment,
they may let you join as an outside member to use the facilities.

Believe it or not we don't have allotments here in Ireland, at least none I
know of or have ever heard of, isn't that weird?

One word.. 'potatoes'..

At least thats what a lot of the irish allotmentholders near hear seem
to grow (and very well too) But mebbe thats a stereotype;-)
//
Jim
Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
shannie

Believe it or not we don't have allotments here in Ireland, at least

none I
know of or have ever heard of, isn't that weird?

One word.. 'potatoes'..

At least thats what a lot of the irish allotmentholders near hear seem
to grow (and very well too) But mebbe thats a stereotype;-)
//
Jim

lol..the one thing I failed at miserably this year. Don't tell them

Shan

Seed catalogues Srgnt Billko Lawns 2 21-01-2008 12:01 AM
I would like old iris catalogues JulieTunes Gardening 0 12-05-2003 12:44 AM
mail order plant catalogues (australia) Addresses needed. Sue Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
mail order plant catalogues (australia) Addresses needed. Sue Australia 7 18-03-2003 02:56 AM
Seed catalogues and other questions Bunny McElwee Edible Gardening 8 10-02-2003 07:25 PM