Old 04-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Lyn

Default Pampas grass problem

We inherited a huge clump of pampas grass at the front of our new home
(PNW). My questions are these:

Does this stuff ever die back?

Can we shear it in the fall or winter, to help tame it?

What is the best way to remove it?

It is planted in the front of the house, in front of a double picture
window. It's huge, and I think it's pretty ugly. I wouldn't mind
getting rid of it altogether, but is there any way to do that?

Could it have affected the foundation of our home (since it is planted
at the base)?

TIA for any advice. We also have some butt-ugly evergreen things on
either side, and a red Japanese maple to move. Sigh. Luckily the
rest of the yard is gorgeous.

-L.