Old 04-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Lyn

Default Pampas grass problem

We inherited a huge clump of pampas grass at the front of our new home
(PNW). My questions are these:

Does this stuff ever die back?

Can we shear it in the fall or winter, to help tame it?

What is the best way to remove it?

It is planted in the front of the house, in front of a double picture
window. It's huge, and I think it's pretty ugly. I wouldn't mind
getting rid of it altogether, but is there any way to do that?

Could it have affected the foundation of our home (since it is planted
at the base)?

TIA for any advice. We also have some butt-ugly evergreen things on
either side, and a red Japanese maple to move. Sigh. Luckily the
rest of the yard is gorgeous.

-L.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Joseph Meehan

It depends on local weather and the exact type of grass, but in general
it turns brown in the fall and falls down in early spring. You can cut it
down anytime. You can dig up the clump and/or use non-specific week killer
like Roundup(tm) anytime it is growing.

If you want to get rid of it, I would suggest cutting it down, waiting
for a little new growth about three inches high and then hitting it with the
week killer. Hit it a week later and maybe a third time. Then plan on
digging it out when you finally get it all.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

om...

Old 04-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Joseph Meehan

While you are right, that could be done, it is a pain with many
varieties and often you do miss some. I like the added step of the
herbicide (not pesticide ;-) ) to make the job easier, but as you noted it
is not really necessary.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"animaux" wrote in message
Cut it down as close to the ground as you can. This takes time. Then,

with a
strong fork, start chipping out chunks of the plant till it's all gone.

Voila,
no more pampas grass. If by chance some comes up here or there, merely

pull it
out. No need for pesticides to kill it. Mechanically remove it.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Chuck

I've had good luck with some strategically placed dynamite, but you'll have
to be careful with it so close to your foundation.

om...

Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 PM
gregpresley

Whatever you do, wear thick gloves, HEAVY JEANS AND SHIRT, before you tackle
this job. The blades of pampas grass are very sharp and will leave little
nicks all over your body. I actually like it when it's planted in
appropriate spots, so I divided a clump at my house in Florida. I think it
took me a week to recover......LOL.. It does have a large root system, but
if your soil is open enough, and you soften the ground first by thorough
watering, you can dig it out - it's not like tree roots.
om...

Old 05-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Lyn

"gregpresley" wrote in message ...
Whatever you do, wear thick gloves, HEAVY JEANS AND SHIRT, before you tackle
this job. The blades of pampas grass are very sharp and will leave little
nicks all over your body. I actually like it when it's planted in
appropriate spots, so I divided a clump at my house in Florida. I think it
took me a week to recover......LOL.. It does have a large root system, but
if your soil is open enough, and you soften the ground first by thorough
watering, you can dig it out - it's not like tree roots.

Thanks to all who responded. While I think it could be attractive
elsewhere, where we have it, it is NOT. The Pampas Grass has GOT TO
GO!

-L.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:44 AM
John DeBoo

Lyn wrote:
"gregpresley" wrote in message ...

Whatever you do, wear thick gloves, HEAVY JEANS AND SHIRT, before you tackle
this job. The blades of pampas grass are very sharp and will leave little
nicks all over your body. I actually like it when it's planted in
appropriate spots, so I divided a clump at my house in Florida. I think it
took me a week to recover......LOL.. It does have a large root system, but
if your soil is open enough, and you soften the ground first by thorough
watering, you can dig it out - it's not like tree roots.

Thanks to all who responded. While I think it could be attractive
elsewhere, where we have it, it is NOT. The Pampas Grass has GOT TO
GO!

We have a lot of it at the golf course I worked at recently. It was
cut back every spring and got to a point we had to remove some of
the huge clumps. We could only get them out with a backhoe, then a
chain around the exposed roots. Nothing else worked. A coworker
had it at his home and it took over. He worked at it nightly for 2
weeks and couldn't get it out. He paid a company a pretty hefty sum
to spend 2 more days getting it out. Couldn't fit a tractor into
his backyard.

[IMG] code is On

Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden? Louise United Kingdom 2 07-03-2003 06:49 AM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 09:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 11:27 AM