Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Pampas grass problem

It depends on local weather and the exact type of grass, but in general
it turns brown in the fall and falls down in early spring. You can cut it
down anytime. You can dig up the clump and/or use non-specific week killer
like Roundup(tm) anytime it is growing.

If you want to get rid of it, I would suggest cutting it down, waiting
for a little new growth about three inches high and then hitting it with the
week killer. Hit it a week later and maybe a third time. Then plan on
digging it out when you finally get it all.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Lyn" wrote in message
om...
We inherited a huge clump of pampas grass at the front of our new home
(PNW). My questions are these:

Does this stuff ever die back?

Can we shear it in the fall or winter, to help tame it?

What is the best way to remove it?

It is planted in the front of the house, in front of a double picture
window. It's huge, and I think it's pretty ugly. I wouldn't mind
getting rid of it altogether, but is there any way to do that?

Could it have affected the foundation of our home (since it is planted
at the base)?

TIA for any advice. We also have some butt-ugly evergreen things on
either side, and a red Japanese maple to move. Sigh. Luckily the
rest of the yard is gorgeous.

-L.