Old 04-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Elizabeth

Default BAT-HOUSES

I have a garden pond. It's the only area that is mosquito-free. Or mostly
:-) We live near a bottomland forest in Louisiana and when we leave the
backyard the mosquitoes are thick. I think mosquito control is achieved more
from the dragonflies than the fish though. The pond is home to a few fish,
frogs, toads (in spring) the occasional snake, and hundreds of dragonflies.
We also see alot of bats in summer but they don't stay near the pond like
the dragonflies do. We have standing water in the woods around us, but a
pump keeps the pond water moving. I have never seen mosquito larvae in the
pond. If they ever did breed there, the fish would take care of it, I'm
sure. Pics of my pond below for those who care to see.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

"dstvns" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:15:53 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

for mosquitoes, I think you might be better off with a dragonfly or koi
pond.

I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a goldfish or koi
pond. I would thing that a pond would be one big mosquito magnet,
suck all the larva into one spot, where the fish would eat them. Do
these ponds actually reduce mosquito numbers considerably?

Dan