Old 02-07-2003, 10:56 PM
WARRENRN1

Default BAT-HOUSES

seems we have an over abundance of mosquitoes this year....and there is no
standing water anywhere that i can find. we have a large hedge that surrounds
the back yard and come dusk, we stay clear of those !!!!!!
i was thinking of making a bat house....but this is fairly large.. 18" x 24".
i do know that much about bats, but if mount this on the side of my garage
(approximate height is 8' under the fascia boards) will the bats find and use
this, or is it too close to the ground.
we have seen a couple of bats around here but will they find the house or how
do i attract them to their new house?

chicago suburbs area.......
Old 02-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Heydan

Last I heard, no one can find a rhyme or reason why bats pick a particular
location to set up a colony, except a lack of predators. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Tono

WARRENRN1 wrote:

seems we have an over abundance of mosquitoes this year....and there is no
standing water anywhere that i can find. we have a large hedge that surrounds
the back yard and come dusk, we stay clear of those !!!!!!
i was thinking of making a bat house....but this is fairly large.. 18" x 24".
i do know that much about bats, but if mount this on the side of my garage
(approximate height is 8' under the fascia boards) will the bats find and use
this, or is it too close to the ground.
we have seen a couple of bats around here but will they find the house or how
do i attract them to their new house?

chicago suburbs area.......

I put one up early this spring. unfortunately, I don't see any
signs of bat's living in it yet. This time of year is too late...
unless you are planning on attracting them next year. I believe it
should be at least 14 foot high, facing south, south east, and away
from trees. Well that's in my area anyway. I'm going to see if a
local exterminator can "transplant" some evicted bats to my bat house.

Tono

Old 02-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Travis

WARRENRN1 wrote:
seems we have an over abundance of mosquitoes this year....and
there is no standing water anywhere that i can find. we have a
large hedge that surrounds the back yard and come dusk, we stay
clear of those !!!!!!
i was thinking of making a bat house....but this is fairly
large.. 18" x 24". i do know that much about bats, but if mount
this on the side of my garage (approximate height is 8' under
the fascia boards) will the bats find and use this, or is it
too close to the ground.
we have seen a couple of bats around here but will they find
the house or how do i attract them to their new house?

chicago suburbs area.......

Try http://www.batcon.org/

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 AM
yar

i have heard that if you put bat guano inthe house it will help
attrack them!

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:36:22 GMT, Tono wrote:

"WARRENRN1 wrote:
"
[...]

-

To Explain Oneself Is A Sign Of Weakness!
Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 AM
dstvns

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:15:53 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

for mosquitoes, I think you might be better off with a dragonfly or koi
pond.

I was wondering if anyone has had good results with a goldfish or koi
pond. I would thing that a pond would be one big mosquito magnet,
suck all the larva into one spot, where the fish would eat them. Do
these ponds actually reduce mosquito numbers considerably?

Dan

Old 03-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Kiewicz

WARRENRN1 said:

seems we have an over abundance of mosquitoes this year....and there is no
standing water anywhere that i can find. we have a large hedge that surrounds
the back yard and come dusk, we stay clear of those !!!!!!
i was thinking of making a bat house....but this is fairly large.. 18" x 24".
i do know that much about bats, but if mount this on the side of my garage
(approximate height is 8' under the fascia boards) will the bats find and use
this, or is it too close to the ground.
we have seen a couple of bats around here but will they find the house or how
do i attract them to their new house?

Get in touch with the Organization for Bat Conservation. (I've seen their
presentations and bat houses in the flesh.) A lot of bat houses (or bat house
designs) being sold or circulated are not really ideal for bats.

http://www.batconservation.org/conte...e/bathouse.htm
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

Thin out the hedge and clean out the leaf litter. There are
mosquito species that can breed in a teaspoon of water in a
cupped dead leaf.

Any particular species? My neighbor's been begging for payback.
How close should I locate the buckets of standing water? How far
from me?

How many 'skeeters could I breed in a 55 gallon trash can?
Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 AM
animaux

http://www.batcon.org/

Old 04-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Elizabeth

I have a garden pond. It's the only area that is mosquito-free. Or mostly
:-) We live near a bottomland forest in Louisiana and when we leave the
backyard the mosquitoes are thick. I think mosquito control is achieved more
from the dragonflies than the fish though. The pond is home to a few fish,
frogs, toads (in spring) the occasional snake, and hundreds of dragonflies.
We also see alot of bats in summer but they don't stay near the pond like
the dragonflies do. We have standing water in the woods around us, but a
pump keeps the pond water moving. I have never seen mosquito larvae in the
pond. If they ever did breed there, the fish would take care of it, I'm
sure. Pics of my pond below for those who care to see.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 31-07-2003, 05:22 AM
J Kolenovsky

http://www.batcon.org and go buy some bat guano and steep it in some
awater and hang it near the bat house.
Be patient.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

WARRENRN1 wrote:
=

seems we have an over abundance of mosquitoes this year....and there is=

no
standing water anywhere that i can find. we have a large hedge that su=

rrounds
the back yard and come dusk, we stay clear of those !!!!!!
i was thinking of making a bat house....but this is fairly large.. 18" =

x 24".
i do know that much about bats, but if mount this on the side of my gar=

age
(approximate height is 8' under the fascia boards) will the bats find a=

nd use
this, or is it too close to the ground.
we have seen a couple of bats around here but will they find the house =

or how
do i attract them to their new house?
=

chicago suburbs area.......

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

[IMG] code is On

How well do bat houses work? Lilah Morgan Gardening 18 03-12-2010 04:19 PM
Bat Houses Scott Hildenbrand Gardening 9 23-11-2010 04:20 PM
Moss/Lichen on roof (was:victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?) RichardS United Kingdom 10 15-01-2004 05:43 AM
Moss/Lichen on roof (was:victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?) RichardS United Kingdom 0 09-01-2004 01:12 PM
Bat houses ( was Carry purse wanted at gun show in Denver Melissa Gardening 0 10-11-2003 03:32 AM